Hydroboost, what to take from the f450

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 87 with the zf5 and I found a 88 superduty with the same transmission. I need to pull the hydroboost unit, the attached lines, and the reservoir on the pump. Is there anything else that I should get? I see some people take the larger master cylinder and some dont. Will I need the pedals, how many people have just reused their pedals and with what modifications? Thanks

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the larger master cylinder. I modified the existing pedal since I did not have one from the superduty, here is the pic.

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id stick with the stock brake resevoir, it saves the hassle of bleeding the system and works just fine. I just did this mod to my truck and I can easily lock up all four tires.

Grab the hydro unit, the power steering pump, and the hoses that connect the ps pump to the gearbox and to the hydro unit itself.

I bought a hydro unit that had originally been on a zf5 equipped truck from the same year stretch as mine. I stuck it in and everything lined up perfectly with the existing brake pedal assembly.

I will recomment one thing though, get yourself a new power steering pump before putting everything together. Buy one without the resevoir and just get the oring kit to swap them between the two pumps. I put the 450 ps pump on my truck and the thing only last 3 days before it got to the point where it could only power one setup at a time.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped master cylinders without needing to re-bleed. I'd grab it. The extra resevoir volume is a plus if you should have a leaking brake line, and the extra pumps of the pedal it gives you could be the difference between life or death. Take the brake pedal and you won't have to modify the one you have. Just remember manual and automatic pedals are different.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Take the peddle but... Its much easier to remove the entire peddle assembly with both clutch and brake peddle. There just isn't enough room up there to get the peddle main shaft out. The clutch hydraulic resivour needs to be removed for all this to come apart...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online