hydraulic wheel lifts

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering loosing my rear fuel tank in favor of a wheel lift. Not right now, but not 5 years from now either. It'll have to be of the "sneaker"/"stinger" variety that does not come with a whole bed, but is instead a self-contained unit that bolts to the frame under the factory pickup bed (because this is not a commercial-use truck and I need my bed for general truck purposes). No need for power head, self-loader, or even remote control - just a basic setup that extends back and lifts up. What should I be looking for on CL or Ebay, is one manufacturer worse than another? Things to look out for, or things to avoid altogether? Also what would be a decent price for a unit in working condition, and if I find something cheap but half-dead how hard/expensive are they to DIY rebuild (assuming hydro cylinders are not all pitted and seals all torn to rags)? I'm not wanting for it to be able to lift the rear of a fully loaded triaxle, but it would be nice to have enough capacity for the front of a maxed out 1-ton diesel (around 4500lbs) - is that doable? Any other suggestions/pointers? Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I don't thing you'll be lifting many one tons, let alone fully loaded.
The few times I had to have my 94 f350 4x4 psd towed, they had to use a roll back. Broke the first rollback, snapped the rams off the frame.
The second tow was a dodge 5500, thing was squatting bad.
You may end up popping some wheelies. Lol
Are you saying 4500 as the front axle weight of the towed vehicle?
Oh and without commercial insurance, you can't tow vehicles for monetary gains. I've looked into it a bit. I like helping people, and would be cool to do some repos. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper, actually I don't plan on towing anything for money, just moving stuff around and whenever our little loonie decides to snap an axle or otherwise disable her vehicle pick her up and drag her sorry **** home :D Nothing on-highway for sure, or even well-traveled backcountry roads if they can be avoided. Would be nice to be able to lift fullsize trucks or the significant other's H1, but pulling a wheelie while attempting it can be a problem LOL To be honest I'd much rather have a wheel lift on the F600, as it's a much longer wheelbase with much stronger frame and I can always counterweight whatever I'm lifting by simply topping off the fuel tanks (holds almost 3000 lbs of fuel), but I'm already walking a thin line with the commercial goons and I'd rather not give them any more reasons to look into the lack of DOT# and all associated BS :sly So I guess the 4500lb lift (I came up with that number as that's what my IDI weighs) would be a no-go, what's the most I can feasibly lift, 2k? My IDI is a shortie, so not too much wheelbase, but she's quite beefed up in the frame department and she can add decent amount of counterweight on the nose if needed...

This whole thing was actually started by the girls, how nice it would be to have our own multipurpose recovery truck. You know, one of those ideas that sound nice in theory and can be useful in reality, but that are somewhat of a side project and so you don't wanna spend a whole lot of time or money on them, more of like if you run across a good deal then it may happen, but it's not a mandatory thing set in stone.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm lifting by simply topping off the fuel tanks (holds almost 3000 lbs of fuel),

You must mean "300"lbs of fuel, 3000 lbs would be ~ 400 gallons.

If any tow company even see's a lift on your truck without DOT numbers, you can bet they will report it. Deep poop then.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odlbull, actually I do mean 3000 lbs, 150 gallons on each side plus the one in the bed. This on the F600, not the IDI obviously. This is interesting tho, so what's the deal with the reporting, we can't have wheel lifts for private use? Next thing they'll start reporting air tanks cause god forbid we're able to change our own tires without calling in AAA... And in-bed tanks so we have to hire a tanker to fuel up our farm equipment... I'll just stick on "not for hire" on the doors, then they can't do a damn thing as long as the vehicle in tow is my own possession or that of an immediate family member. And if there isn't even a vehicle in tow at the time, hello lawsuit, hell I may even make enough off that for a Cummins swap. But I already know the LEOs that would be busting me if a complaint came in, and also most of the tow truck operators in the area, so I'm not really too worried about that. Still, your post was insightful, didn't realize how rampant the jackassery is out there...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have seen a few wheel lifts with "not for hire."
Could count them on one hand with a few fingers blown off.
I'm sure you would still maybe need different insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I even got hassled by the LEO when I picked up my Granddaughters car on my GN trailer, her ***** BF knifed all 4 tires. She lived in an apartment bldg., just happened to be a tow truck there for a repo, ***** must have called the LEO, didn't take long for them to show up. It's just the hassle you have to go thru with them. My daughter was there also, every time she went to say something, she was told to SHUT UP I'm not talking to you. Eventually 3 cop cars showed up. GD was up in her apartment packing up to move, my daughter had to get her and prove it was her car. They even had a dog sniffing for drugs. So you can see, ya never know what kind of a situation you can get in. It was fun driving up on ramps with 4 flats, thank God I had an 8000* winch with remote control to help pull it up, car was just a little NEON.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A AAA membership would be a lot more economical. How often do you need to tow your vehicles? I can only remember one time in 25 years of driving when I needed a tow... Maybe I'm just lucky.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've used all the hideaway wheelifts over the year. "sneeker" from TX, is the most durable but you will loose your rear tank since it tucks up in there.
many of my customers want me unmarked. I have all my insurance and permits. they take care of the nosy people when I get pulled over.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a tow dolly? I have one out behind the shed. It doesn't get used as much as it used to, but it's handy on occasion. No truck mods needed other than a strong receiver hitch which most of us probably have already. I've towed loaded F250's with mine.