HPOP is empty

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
I removed the quarter in plug from the top of the Hpop and stuck a6" extension all the way in and no oil. Cranked it over for a lil while checked again and no oil. Is my Hpop shot? Thanks ahead of time

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
might sound dumb... check the engine oil.

I have had guys call me for the same reason. to find out they were 2 gallons low on oil... lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup.

I would imagine the 7.3 is the same basic idea as a 6.0. The low oil pressure pump pumps crankcase oil up to the HPOP reservoir in the valley, where the HPOP can draw it in. If the HPOP doesnt have oil up there, there is a reason because of that.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have a few issues.injector orings,bad ipr or ipr orings,sticking check valve in the hpop,back cover or line fitting leaks on the hpop,hpop reservoir gasket leak.

Pull the fuel filter and see what the fuel in the housing and the filter look like.black,oily,gritty is a good indication that you need injector orings

With the truck being a 95 and not knowing anything about the truck.it is possible that somebody swapped in 96-03 hpop wich will cause the hpop tank to drain over a couple days of sitting.95 has the check valve in the hpop,96-03 have it in the timing cover.

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
It's there a noticeable difference between the 95 and the 96_03 Hpop. The fuel in the filter bowl is a lil dark. I've been planning on doing injector o-rings and cups but haven't had the time

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think to properly use the 96-03 HPOP, you need a 96-03 front cover (timing cover?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id doubt the pump was changed.

Sounds to me like you need injector orings

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no.if the truck is driven daily itll be fine.if it sits for a couple days the reservoir will drain down.crank its nuts off and itll start and be fine till it sits again.

There was an accumulator tank setup offered and can be DIY.

I came up with a much better way to fix it by modding the cover a tiny bit.real simple to do and wirked flawless on my truck for years of sitting

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I would do anything that is if the pan oil level is OK, point the nose down as much as possible and even jack up the rear as hi as possible, then overfill by a gallon, crank her over and see if it fills the HPOP then. A common cause is the LPOP pickup tube cracks right at the pump, then it sucks air not oil to fill the HPOP. If that's the problem, time to pull the pan.