How Worried Should I Be?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Pulled a GlowPlug tip is broke off
Just cranking it sounded healthy. It was a Autolight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you explain what this looks like??? Can you get any soot off the broken tip. Is this a very clean break or is the tip sooty. Big questions but very important to answer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those have been missing for some time. Could be stuck in pistons or blown out the exhaust. No turbo? No problem..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For now I'll run the wellmans and spend the coin on berus later.

The 088 wellman plugs I got cost me an engine rebuild after all of them lost their heads.

All I can say is do a test on them before installing anything other than beru plugs in your truck

Tried both wellmans; the 080 is the direct drop in replacement. That resulted in every tip falling off and me planning a rebuild when the plugs stayed on for too long. I bench tested a wellman 088 and that resulted in the tip swelling up to about 5/16" before finally dying.

They are crap and may cost you an engine but if you insist on trying them at least test them before putting it anywhere near your engine.

I failed a set of berus due to a failed controller and they all came out in tact with no harm done to the engine.

if it's not a Beru,it just wont do.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel Rx's Wellman plugs seem to die an early death (in my experience) just like all the other non-Beru/Motorcraft plugs out there. Their controller is still working OK but the Wellman's went; 1 the first week, 1 the week after, 2 more the fourth week. Ran on 4 plugs for 4 or 5 months until I replaced with all Berus. Eight months on the Berus now and I'm still getting 8-9 seconds on the wait to start light...

someone could offer me 2 grand to run a glow plug other than motorcraft/beru in my idi engines and i would decline.the questions you have to ask yourself is this;
how much do you value your engine?
at what price would someone need to offer to have you risk killing your engine to run an off brand gp in your engine?
how much do you value your time,to take the time at worse case scenario,to swap heads or even an engine?
all glow plugs can and do swell up and get stuck and even possibly break off.it just so happens that it's widely known that the motorcraft (which are Beru brand,made in Germany) have by far,a far less failure rate known to cause these issues.
with knowing this,how can anyone's risk to reward calculator function in such a way that any other logical conclusion wouldn't be like the masses thinking, that it's only Beru?
because you might get lucky and not have such issues? for what savings are you risking a whole engine for? are you willing to accept such a risk? why?

in summary, your question is; how worried should you be about a broken gp tip?
my answer my friend is very.

if it's not a Beru,it just wont do.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall our engines came with autolites.. Or was it champions???:dunnocookoo I just know for a fact those 2 brands are terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789