how to replace sway bar bushings

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Okay, so a more general answer might just work on this. But basically I noticed my front sway bar bushings were just totally trashed and the sway bar could be pushed by hand up and down about a half inch.

So i pulled everything off, and the old bushings were just TOTALLY stuck to the metal somehow, so i burned them out and got it cleaned up a bit. The new bushings are poly or whatever, very very hard rubber. The bushing ends are also like 1.25-1.4 times larger than the hole that they go in. I tried pushing them in with a long threaded rod with bolts and washers on each side, but the bushing is so hard that it just would not push in at all. It would just go sideways and start to look like it was going to tear up.

So to make long story short i ground/sanded off one side of the bushings so it could be pushed in more easily, that worked fine and the way the sway bar pushes into them i figured they wouldn't be able to back out, but of course they did.

So my question is, how are you supposed to push these ******** in without taking all of the suspension off and using some sort of hydraulic ram to push them through the holes? Any secrets?

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
are these the style that acutally go into the cast arm? if so I always used air hammer to remove, and very generous amounts of silicon grease to install. one swift hit with hammer to get it into the arm.

when you got the piece of rubber out, did you get the metal that goes around it out also?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
are these the style that acutally go into the cast arm? if so I always used air hammer to remove, and very generous amounts of silicon grease to install. one swift hit with hammer to get it into the arm.

when you got the piece of rubber out, did you get the metal that goes around it out also?

Here is a diagram for my application.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2010-08-14_222521_94_F-Series_4x2_front_suspension.jpg

The sway bar goes into holes that are on number 4 and number 5. So it's just calling those pieces the axle. The holes for the sway bar doesn't appear to show on that diagram.

From what I can tell, there are just "holes" in those axle pieces, no sleeves or anything and the bushings just push into those holes. The hammer thing might be a good idea, but i'm pretty sure it's in such a location that a good swing at it will be impossible.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know different animal, but on my d 60 track bar, I think they were "halved."
Don't think I would've cut it down. Lol now you probably need new ones, again.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I know different animal, but on my d 60 track bar, I think they were "halved."
Don't think I would've cut it down. Lol now you probably need new ones, again.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
On my 2wd there halved too. Come to think about it almost every truck I've been under has had the halved style easy on easy off.

OP what brand did you buy?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Okay, should make more sense with these pictures. The bushing has popped out in these pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
it appears the metal sleeve is still in the arm... how did you remove your old bushings? like I said we always installed the clear moog ones, never had an issue.