How To: Remove That Infamous Top Starter Bolt

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12in extension an it was crazy easy, I had to hit the starter a few times after unbolting it as it sealed itself to the truck but got it off easy.
I ended up doing this 3 times as it was my starter cable but she did end up getting one of those lifetime warranty gear reduction starters....which is much easier to install as the cone/weight of start makes for a weird angle to get it in truck

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Just saying.....
Overall I've had best luck thru the yrs doing that top inside starter bolt on my trucks, tractors that had them, etc, etc. using a 1/4" ratchet with several really short (2"-3") extensions that wiggle & wobble but will get in there & get a socket working on bolt. 3/8 with several short extensions too.
If straight shot one long extension works great!!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much thanks to the folks in this thread. Putting a stud in the top makes this job really easy as the starter "hangs" from it. I can honestly say I'll never fight with a starter again on an IDI or a 390 Ford ever again without making an investment in a stud. For the record, I couldn't find a stud that was 2" long with threads all the way down, so I cut the head off of an allen bolt as I figured that would be case hardened and make for a durable stud.

I should have posted pics but it was raining and my hands were dirty, which is a bad combination for documentation :)

Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online