how to make a IDI last?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maintain 3000 mile oil changes. Keep the return lines is dry condition. Thats about it I'm thinking...:sly

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't run them out of oil, treat it like you should. They'll last a very long time then. Abuse em' and it will show eventually... Making them last usually isn't a problem for most people LOL

I'm gonna assume your going through engines? Did you rebuild them at all or were they junkyard finds:dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TAKE CARE OF IT!!!!anything will last a long time if taken care of properly.just drive it,dont beat the snot out of it.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It doesn't take much aside from routine maintenance to keep them going forever ;Sweet That said I'd invest in a good set of gauges as the factory ones are borderline worthless. Keeping the motor cool plays a big role in longevity.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Some of your guys answers aren't all that helpful, lol.

It's like asking, how do I win? Well.... you just don't lose.

I think changing the oil every 3000 miles helps alot. Sending in oil samples to blackstone every third or fourth change too, will keep you up to date about what's going on in your engine in terms of wear and any problems that may be cropping up so you can fix them before they become major problems.

For the fuel system, I would recommend running diesel kleen every tank, that'll keep the injection pump from prematurely wearing out from the new crappy diesel fuels.

Repair all leaks in the fuel system as soon as you discover them. Keep air out of the injection pump and keep you from having to run your starter long to prime the fuel system.

Keep the glow plugs operational and the engine will start up every time no problem. If you don't have the 7.3L glow plug system, get it. Or just switch to manual control.

That's all I can think of for now...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of your guys answers aren't all that helpful, lol.

It's like asking, how do I win? Well.... you just don't lose.

:sorry::sorry:

well i guess youre right.lol

to make it last read this forum well.all the info you need is here.;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Park it in the garage or put it in storage, disconnect the batteries, then in 2025, reconnect the batteries and fire it up. OH be sure and put the additive in the fuel tanks. :rolleyes::D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to keep yours the way I've kept mine, here is my formula...

Garage Kept
Drive only on nice days
Change the oil every 2K
Keep the RPM's low
Keep the EGT's low
Change parts preventatively - don't wait for failure
Observe the Ford maintainance schedule for other fluids.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yeah its universal. You just have to fab up a bracket to bolt it to. Go to the IDI tech articles its in there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If your engine is not an excessive oil consumer, switch it to a quality synthetic and install a bypass filter and change your oil as per oil analysis , If it consumes too much to use synthetic, stilll put the bypass filter on to get the smaller wear particles out of your engine ( plus even on dino oil you can run 12-15k miles between changes with a bypass filter so it will pay for itself in more than just reduced wear)

Make suer to check you supplimental coolant additive levels and keep them up.

Keep a good fuel additive in your tank like Howes, every tank

Don't tromp on it too hard. It's a medium duty truck engine, not a friggen dragster. It will work hard for you if you treat it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online