How to keep pumps from being messed with?

1994 Turbo

Reaction score
It's my brother and his high school best friend that are the main issue. i yelled at the pair, told them to both get bent if they cant leave stuff alone. I'm the one that foots 90% of the maintence cost and he handles fuel and the electric bill. Balances out that way. I can't chain or lock hoods closed, nobody would check oil or anything. i should hide all the alan wrenches. I can't fire my family, he's a partner in the business. I could fire his friend but that's a last resort cause he is one of the hardest workers and don't beat on equipment.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Family owned businesses can present a unique set of problems if no one is in charge and you try to run it by "committee".. Which is a formula for failure and grief.

Bottom line: Someone has to be "in charge" and everyone else has to follow the rules. The "in charge guy" can't be thin skinned and everyone else can either pull up their big boy pants and follow the rules or fill out their "Butt Hurt Forms" and leave..

Committees discuss problems... Individuals make decisions...

If the brother breaks trucks and rules, it costs the company, thus should be charged DIRECTLY to him. No candy for screw ups. Along with that, the drivers know he is doing it.. so they can be given the duty to report it, or be fired.. It puts you in a hard spot, you either have to be boss, or be enabler... you pick.

And yes.. my real name is "Ruthless *******" ... in case you doubt where I'm coming from, I have held the position of Senior Director of a family business started in 1731 for the past 18 yrs. Farming makes up one sector of that business.

I had accounting generate a ledger called "Stupid people mistakes" just to keep track of what it cost to allow these kinds of things in our operations.. Which I display at every meeting.
Unfortunately, "Stupid actions" is not tax deductible.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey G.Mann will you run for president? Great speech and your better than trump.....LOL. Sad but you have to be that way.....

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your support ! .. Hahahhaah..

Not this time.. not ever.. I would line up the present group of criminals on the white house lawn on their knees in front of an open trench Chinese style.. and add a new meaning to "You're Fired".

Don't think that would quite fly.. LOL

But.. send money any way.. hahahaha...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Put him in charge of truck maintenance and repairs

The problem I see with that, is he may take the mentality of if I am paying for it, I can do what I want......... so 4 melted down trucks.......

I have a 20 year old that could as "Ruthless *******" said, could break a crowbar in a pile of sand....... I am still finding tools that are missing or broken.... that is one reason I bought a $40 set from Horrible Freight form my 15 year old to use.........

The 20 year old is out on his own....... but still make some of the same mistakes I see above.........

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ +1; putting them in charge of maintenance is a BAD idea. They'd all have the pumps turned up to within an inch of their lives, stacks the diameter of oak trees, back windows full of stickahs, etc.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you cant chain the hoods,
Try some tamper resistant fasteners. Can find them on mcmasters. Then fill the heads in with epoxy.
this is your best option.

or you can buy the biggest pile of shat truck you can find, and give them designated trucks.
makes one be held accountable. kinda hard if they are different pieces of equipment tho.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heres another idea. Just give this fool brother that truck and tell him not to frig with any other trucks. He pays the upkeep on it for any damages he makes happen because he has turned it up or driven it like a fool. Seems he is not responsible yet... When repairs come out of his profits or shares of the profits I bet he dances a different tune....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mcguyver up a switch to the pyro,
everytime it reaches the desired temp, have it send a shock to the seat

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
mcguyver up a switch to the pyro,
everytime it reaches the desired temp, have it send a shock to the seat

I like IDIoit's idea- but with a more workable variation.. Without hotrod brothers knowledge, do the pyro Mc Guyver thing, but the switch output goes to a normally closed solenoid that opens on a 12V signal.. The hotwire to the fuel shutoff solenoid would of course be the interrupted circuit..:D;Really

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the idi pump is pretty limited to the amount of fuel it can put out put a bigger turbo on them.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take their truck driving privelages away.

After 55 years of being a business owner, I've found that NOTHING works as well as a good public ass kicking, with steel toe boots, of the guilty party.

Line up everyone from the chief **** shovel pusher to the President and lay down the law, ONE TIME. Then fire anyone who violates that law on the spot. If it's a family member, make an example of him to the others. Rules have to be rules. Once that one time meeting happens, everyone has had "fair warning" so no second chances.

Heres another idea. Just give this fool brother that truck and tell him not to frig with any other trucks. He pays the upkeep on it for any damages he makes happen because he has turned it up or driven it like a fool. Seems he is not responsible yet... When repairs come out of his profits or shares of the profits I bet he dances a different tune....

Huh, common theme there. :dunno

1994 Turbo

Reaction score
Solved the problem this morning. Walked in the shop this morning for our usual who-is-doing-what discussion which we have every day i turned into a *****. Gave my brother's friend a free unpaid 3 week vacation to think about what he wants to do, gave him his check for the last two weeks and told him it's time to go home. Turned to Aidan and told him he's done driving any diesel powered vehicle on the place excluding tractors and skid steers. and handed him the keys to the spare truck. an 84 F250 300i6 4 speed. that is dog tired and has no power, and said when Brent comes back from his "vacation" that brent got the spare truck and aidan could have the 6.9 for 3 weeks, then all would return to normal. He called dad, dad said i'm 3 years older and make the key financial decisions. Battle won. Now let's see if he can kill that 300. He won't be happy when he finds out i Hid an MSD rev limiter under the dash with a 3200 Rpm chip! That one was dad's idea. He even bought the limiter. If this don't resolve our issue the luxury of not having to use your personal truck to do farm stuff will go away. He won't be happy if he has to use his precious ecoboost for farm truck stuff. Ill keep you posted on how it goes! Thanks Oilburners!