How to keep pumps from being messed with?

1994 Turbo

Reaction score
Alright guys, a little backstory before i ask my main question. We are on a 70 cow, 700 acre farming operation and have mostly all idi's for farm trucks. 4 to be exact, a 1994 factory turbo zf5, 1993 factory turbo zf5, 1988 7.3 ATS boosted 5 speed and an 87 ATS boosted 4 speed. We have autometer pyrometers mounted in all our trucks, including both mine and my father's personal 6.0's, and we try to set all the pumps on the trucks to stay around 1200 at WOT in case an idiot is driving. Well lately we have been having issues with the pumps being twisted up, all the way. I know 1 employee is in on it but the main culprit is my little brother, so i can't fire him. I hollered at him for it but a week later i jumped in the 94, got on it to pass someone and it shot right up to 1400. Pulled cover off and sure enough she was all the way up. turned it back down to where it was and decided to put an end to this.
End backstory.
So how can i make the side cover inaccessable? i thought about welding the screw to the cover but i really don't wanna do that, so any ideas are nice!
Thanks,
Dillan

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a chain on the hood with a lock and only 1 key.
but the person with the key would have to do all of the PM

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell them( whomever is responsible) that WHEN the truck breaks down, any and ALL repair costs will be born SOLELY by them, then post a cost-listing of ALL things that could be damaged in the hooliganism. If they continue messing with the settings, then the next step will be to remove them from a position where the setting can be tampered with, IE- plant his keister where all he can do is watch others drive the trucks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
More costly option would be putting the smoke puff eliminator on all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weld both screws to the cover, once fuel is set ya shouldn't have to get into it. Go to an ACE hardware and get a couple of extra screws, just in case you ever have to grind them off. Take with you one of the screws as a sample.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off I would ask why these workers are doing this. You should not have to "fix" the pumps so they are tamper proof. So far I like the chain on the hood idea best but with that comes having the key holder doing extra work.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Like any job anywhere, if they cant respect the equipment, time for a job elswhere.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood locks (you don't need a chain, just pins and padlocks). Re-assign those responsible to tasks that involve only manual labor. Any time/money spent re-setting the limiters comes out of the pay of those who disabled/overrode them. Dismiss repeat offenders.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 55 years of being a business owner, I've found that NOTHING works as well as a good public ass kicking, with steel toe boots, of the guilty party.

Line up everyone from the chief **** shovel pusher to the President and lay down the law, ONE TIME. Then fire anyone who violates that law on the spot. If it's a family member, make an example of him to the others. Rules have to be rules. Once that one time meeting happens, everyone has had "fair warning" so no second chances.

I've had people work for me who could tear up a crowbar in a sand pile and invent ways to do it faster. Being a total hard ass was the only way that worked. [I just have a natural talent for that, BTW. ha ]

Your business runs on equipment, the people are just there to take care of that equipment and guide it carefully to do it's job. I always told my screw up folks that it cost me $***.00 to replace the equipment they broke by not following my rules.. and it cost NOTHING to replace them.. then gave them "that look" for about a minute... while everyone else stood watching... before I fired them on the spot..

Nothing like a good example of what not to do to keep your job.. right?

And NO I'm not politically correct, but I paid more in taxes than most folks make and I hired and paid a whole bunch of folks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys missed the main problem. The biggest culprit is his brother. Dealing with family can be problematic with undesired consequences.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online