how often should I replace my #2

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
At the rate I'm going, it looks like the diesel fuel in my front tank will last me until next year.

Great, now I have yet another fluid to change. :D

How often do you guys think I should burn through (change out) my start-up and shut down #2 fuel. Do you think 12 months is too long? Should I shoot for 6?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my .02........
diesel is some pretty stable stuff overall. When stored properly(sealed container), it will keep for a year untreated. Treated with stabilizers and biocides, it keeps for even longer. I am running four year old stuff that was treated with biocide that was stored in a 500gallon tank. Its starting to smell a little bad, but it still burns. I've personally seen in the more rural parts of China, diesel is stored in 55 gallon drums and they look pretty old. The locals pump it out of the drums into their little *** trucks and the nasty smelling stuff still burns. It seems that it produces a little more smoke and you can't tell if the anemic power output of the motor has been hurt. Bottom line, six months, a year or a little more, isn't going to be a big concern. This reformulated gasoline crap CA is forcing down our throats is a whole other item......... :mad:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Was tinkering with some 5 ton Cummins dump trucks on my annual training that had fuel in them stored so long it smelled of varnished gasoline. :eek:
Granted a little bigger truck but same concept. They just run em out and dump fresh in when it needs a filling. Truck ran great....wouldn't do it to that extreme with my rigs.
When I bought the Beef, the fuel had been setting in there for 2 years and ran good once I got her unseized. Added some treatments to it and never had a lick of problems at 255k on the odometer.
Just my $.02

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
cool, thanks guys. So it sounds like I should just make a 1 year ritual out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online