How much power?

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody I'm new here, been looking around for a few days non stop now and I have a question. My truck is a 85 f-250 extra cab DRW with a 6.9l c6 with GV overdrive unit and 3.55's in the axles. My question is how much power should I be getting to the ground? The truck seems like a dog in the torque area, I can barely pull 55mph up the hills in my area unloaded. The truck as been very well taken care of (was my gradfathers since 1986) but I'm not sure what to look for as far as getting more power out of this truck. It may very well need injectors and an IP but I need to get the maintenece records to see if and or when they were done last. She leaks a little oil but thats easy to fix, thats the only problem (visably) that I can see with the truck. I'm not looking for upgrade options per say but maintence and for things that can be changed/upgraded for really cheap (I'm saving for injector and IP). Thanks for looking hopefully someone will chime in to save the day.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, from the results from our dyno event at the Rally, a NA IDI will make anywhere from 108.8HP and 229.1 ft./lbs torque to 143.9HP and 261.3 ft./lbs of torque. All the results are listed in the FAQ section at the top of the IDI forum.

Fresh injectors and injection pump that has been properly timed will make a difference in performance. Also, install a pyrometer to monitor EGT's. If they are not consistantly running 1000-1100 or higher, you could trying increasing the fuel in the IP. BUT ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE A PYROMETER. Otherwise, you will likely damage the engine as you could be melting things down without knowing it.

Wecome to OB and enjoy the IDI.;Sweet

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second all that. These trucks usually run great, even when they are not at their best, and they loose their performance edge so slowly the current owner usually doesn't realize what has been lost, until that refresh comes around and then it's "Oh WOW!"

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So once I get the maintenence records see if the injector and IP have been done and if not start there with getting some more power from this beast?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
So once I get the maintenence records see if the injector and IP have been done and if not start there with getting some more power from this beast?

You can also tell if they have been changed by their color. The factory installed ones are painted gray like the engine. How many miles on the truck? If over 100k then it's time.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is right at 120k but my grandfather said that he had a service done at 100k what was reather pricey so I need to see if they have been done I'll go check right now to see if they are gray or not.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so 3 of the 8 are not gray but all of the line in between then (not sure if these are the return lines or not) are all newer looking. So wheres the best bang for the buck in getting the parts to replace the injectors and the IP. And when doing the IP timing needs to be reset correct? And if so whats this I have read about a Ferret? I have a timing light but not sure where to get a Ferret without breaking the bank.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If you are going to stay naturally aspirated, get a Baby Moose pump, a set of matched BB code injectors and a free flowing intake and exhaust. Agnem has the pump, Russ (typ4) has the injectors. Then get the timing set to Agnem's specs. You'll love it.
After that, throw a turbo on it (grab a used kit).

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the pump from Agnem be good for turbo use and would the injectors from typ4 be good for turbo use also?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
They will work just fine with or without a turbo, if you decide to add a turbo just turn the pump up a little bit

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sweet guys looks like I need to save more money then I was thinking for the Baby Moose IP. What do the injectors run?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online