How much does a Banks really help

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1990 auto 2wd 7.3 truck.I had a family member pick it up till I could travel to get it.In the meantime,I freaked about it being n/a and picked up a used w/gated banks kit for it without ever driving it.Well,I am really suprised how well it runs as is.Highway @65 its getting 20mpg solid every day.Will the Banks knock that mileage down?The n/a 7.3 will run circles around all of the 6.2's ive had.Is it really worth the work and hassle?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like a different truck....seriously. I lost some fuel mileage, but I can't keep my foot out of it. I like the whistle.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda wondered about the mileage.I know the pumping loss thing.I would not have guessed a 7.3 would see 20mpg.This is my first 7.3 that wasnt a powerstroke.It got 16mpg.Thanks for the reply.I guess since the kit is here...

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory it can help the mileage slightly if you can keep your foot out of it. I know it will be important to reset the timing afterwards and turn up the fuel some for best performance. Should help with lower EGT's and towing economy. Do you have a pyro gauge?

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit was complete with gauges.I run 50-250 miles/day interstate.No towing.On the GM db2's,I just pulled the top cover and gov ass and give them a quarter turn on the set screw.I assume this ford is the same.If I didnt already have the kit,I prob wouldnt go get one after driving it.Since I already paid for it,guess it is next on the to do list.I notice mileage drops pretty hard after 65 mph and higher

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually,untill the resistor install on the trans..I was worried about even installing it(turbo) but with the res,it shifts awesome.Paperwork says trans was replaced due to it puking fluid in reverse @ 49K,at 61k now

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
DO NOT PULL THE TOP COVER. Thats not to be confused with turning up the fuel delievery. Thats the plate on the passenger side of the pump that looks like a home plate in base ball. A 5/32 allen wrench in the screw and turn it towards the front end 1 flat of the wrench. Remember the wrench has 6 flats. A turbo does help with better hp and fuel mileage. Your able to force more air into the cylinders so the fuel gets burned more completely that way. 10 lbs is what the banks wastegated sindewinder turbos puts out factory. We can up that to 15 safely.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah it's a big difference.don't even wonder if it's worth the bloody knuckles installing it.you won't have any regrets lol.my economy went down as well.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it? Oh yeeaa!

In my day (kit installed on '86 truck in '87), the flywheel rating was 175 hp. Banks flywheel rating: 255. Peak Torgue: 360 stock, 550 with the Banks. Even if you consider there is some fudge factor (advertising) in the ratings, it's a remarkable difference and the cheapest hp you can buy if you measure by the pound ( : < ). If you Scout around for some chassis dyno tests and consider a 30% driveline loss, the 250/550 Banks rating is not total science fiction.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My feeling is it's good for about 50% more effective power - I was able to run typically one gear higher at roughly the same rpm. (manual trans) That is, a hill I'd take at ~25 in 2nd without the turbo I was doing 45 in 3rd with.

With the setup I have now (HX35) I can do just about the same speed uphill running 15k GCW as a NA truck would do empty.

Fuel economy may go down depending on how you drive it. Theoretically it would be the same or go up a bit if you didn't put your foot into it but most people tend to see a small decrease in mileage.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's threads like this that make me sad I have a van.......or mostly that van kits are very difficult to come by.