How much can the PM rods take?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Hey all... looking for some advice.

I have a chance to get some Mini Me 530 injectors for my truck... The price is almost half of what they are normally with only 10,000 miles on them...

My concern is what these powder metal rods in the 2002 can take. DI shows these injectors pushing over 450hp with a stock HPOP and an upgraded air intake and 4" exhaust.

I just don't want to make a window out of the block... What are your guys thoughts about it...

I realize you pay to play... I just want to play safe. :D

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
From what I recall the rods will take the power, it is just they dont like detonation.
IMHO they are the little problem
mini's need more fuel and oil.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt try to attain 450 horse with PM rods. All the knowledge I have gained on the PM subject is that they will window the block at 400 hp. Nick hits a good point that the timing is very important to keep CP's in a desirable range. If you can work with a reputable tuner you can get a chip burnt to keep all things in perspective.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
If you can work with a reputable tuner you can get a chip burnt to keep all things in perspective.

That was my thought... I would have to have a custom program anyways because the mini's are a single shot injector..... Which brings me back to the detonation issue... Do you have a more violent detonation with a single shot?

I have been away to long to know what some of the changes are... it seemed like the guys that were windowing the blocks were doing so with drugs... NOS & Propane...

I would still be on the milder side with the stock turbo and stock HPOP... but even still DI guarantee's over 450hp with a stock HPOP and the air and exhaust and one of their programs... I am just really nervous about the rods... If I still had the 99 it wouldn't even be an issue...

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I'm still with all respects a novice in the DI motor realm but here's what I've been told. I have single shots in my truck & everyone from 95 to Bean's to Swamp's Diesel has told me 400rwhp is the limit with PM rods.

Go to Swamp's for the chip. He's the only guy that has taken the time (after business hours mind you) to walk a moron like me through what he does to make a chip work right. He was talking way above my knowledge level but it's obvious he knows what he's doing. His chip is the only one that will make my truck idle right.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Apex,

Thanks for the info... I wrote the guy and let him know that I was too nervous about blowing a rod to go ahead with the deal.

That and I need to save some money so I can buy a new lift... tires... ring & pinion... and other misc. stuff for this new truck.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Man... ya could have hooked us up...LOL

But really, with good tunes you just tune for the HP that the motor can handle... 400hp is the low end of the limit, just do some CP testing and your good to go.

quickstart

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question. What if your truck has bigger than stock tires on and you get on the dyno and it says your at 400 hp and then you put on a set of stock tires and it gets you to 450 or so. Do you have to take into consideration your tire size to know what the safe limit your hp should be? If you have pm rods and running bigger tires maybe the socalled safe hp would be around 350hp cause you loose alot of hp with the bigger tires. Am I really off base on this?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question. What if your truck has bigger than stock tires on and you get on the dyno and it says your at 400 hp and then you put on a set of stock tires and it gets you to 450 or so. Do you have to take into consideration your tire size to know what the safe limit your hp should be? If you have pm rods and running bigger tires maybe the socalled safe hp would be around 350hp cause you loose alot of hp with the bigger tires. Am I really off base on this?

You would be suprized how little effect tire size has on HP on the dyno... maybe 10-15 hp at most for my setup...

I would not worry about it, until you step up to injectors your never going to see 350...