How much can I turn it up?

norve8c9

Payton
Reaction score
I was wondering how much to turn up the pump on my 7.3 to go from the derated 166 HP up to the normal 180 or 185 HP. Ive never messed with it before and any help would be appreciated. I dont want to go anymore without the turbo but I would think turning it up to what it should be would be no problem right?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! If you put the info about your truck in your sig line that helps alot when answering questions...just for future reference. But anyways if you don't have a pyro installed on your truck you really need to get one before messing with the pump at all. You will be amazed at the heat that these things can make and how quickly for that matter.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not know what year you have but DO NOT turn up the pump untill you have a pyro (a melted piston can ruin your whole day). Do some exhaust mods (bigger pipe) and intake mods (cowl air or by the side of the rad)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK there are only 2 reasons why it would be derated...
1) You have an IHC injector pump for International as opposed to Ford IDI applications
2) You are way up in thje mountains or your truck was originally designedas a HA model
In the first case, teh pump is internally different...you will have lower speed and HP but you will pick up your torque band lower, for example...in my 6.9 F250 I have a C6 auto and 4.10s , with teh Ford pump the power really comes on around 45-55MPH or 2200-2600RPMS, with teh IH pump I used, the peak torque was around 40mph and it limited out at 71mph instead of 82 sucked on the highway but it was great around town. The other pump I'm not so familiar with, but what I do know about the HA pumps is that they reduced fule delivery to prevent you from burning up the motor, what I don't know is if they accomplished this alone by turning down the fuel or if the pump is internally different than the sea level DB2. Someone here will know so sit tight. My best advice is to buy a pyrometer if you don't already have one adn keep the sustained EGTs <1000-1100*F and use 1150 as a safe maximum for peak EGTs. Do that and you should not pop headgaskets or melt down the motor. Also be sure teh air filter is as clean as it can be.