How much air do you reckon goes UNDER our trucks? RE: inter-cooler radiator

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for real estate to mount my water/air inter-cooler radiator. Maybe under the bed with a scoop / screen and fan?
Just a thought. It looks like that or build a front bumper to receive it. I don't like the idea of it being in front of my A/C condenser and engine radiator and I don't want to cram it behind the OEM bumper (holes cut in bumper to receive PS bumper grommets).
Thoughts and opinions appreciated

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might not like the idea, but putting the intercooler in front of the condenser works well.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might not like the idea, but putting the intercooler in front of the condenser works well.

I'm being driven by space limitations mostly. The slant nose hood latch support (for lack of better term) will have to be modified (removed replaced with additional support) and aftermarket grille installed. Which ain't that big of deal but then I've still got the inter-cooler sucking up all of my cool A/C and engine radiator air. As you know, our A/C needs every break it can get down here.
Anyway, that what got me thinking about it. Hell, I've seen rice burners with water/air inter-cooler radiators in the trunk!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Move your batteries first. That'll open up space.
I think it was @Shawn MacAnanny that mounted one below the radiator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Batteries are being relocated to boxes under-bed, if I can get that worked out in a way that I like. Otherwise, they're going in a tool box in the bed; along with the water reservoir for the I/C. I intend to move the radiator over flow and wind shield washer tank too (they'll be aluminium tanks) All that said, these modifications only make room for the inter-cooler and air intake, not the air / water heat exchange (radiator).

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Move your batteries first. That'll open up space.
I think it was @Shawn MacAnanny that mounted one below the radiator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Johnson CM30P1-7 coolant pump mounted on driverside frame rail pushing up through bottom of intercooler radiator. With clutch fan in place I had no issues with ac until it got above 95f and was idling in traffic. Cooler or cruising and it's ice cold but mines also a black crew cab.

Attachments

• IMAG0933.jpg
    IMAG0933.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it up front. If my AC keeps up here in Vegas where its routinely 120º, you'll be fine. I have the ATS intercooler that mounts down low and utilized the bumper holes (I put on a newer PSD Bumper) and it works great.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson CM30P1-7 coolant pump mounted on driverside frame rail pushing up through bottom of intercooler radiator. With clutch fan in place I had no issues with ac until it got above 95f and was idling in traffic. Cooler or cruising and it's ice cold but mines also a black crew cab.

And you're truck is OBS. If I have to modify the hood latch support (maybe condenser mounts too) and install an aftermarket grille to make it work, I think I'd rather build a bumper.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How I set mine up. I ran it for 10k on my truck before it was totaled

Attachments

• IMAG0788.jpg
    IMAG0788.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem fitting a water/air IC on mine without any major changes other than deleting the vacuum pump (electric/hydroboost)... I have a 1" thick 24x12 (IIRC) water cooler between the radiator & AC condenser and the actual IC mounted inboard of the pass battery above the frame rail.

I would not mount anything under the bed. I would expect limitted air flow there, and much of the airflow that is present is hot air that's already blown through the radiator and/or over/around the rest of the drivetrain. You also add the chance of picking up road debris or any sort of junk thrown up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem fitting a water/air IC on mine without any major changes other than deleting the vacuum pump (electric/hydroboost)... I have a 1" thick 24x12 (IIRC) water cooler between the radiator & AC condenser and the actual IC mounted inboard of the pass battery above the frame rail.

I would not mount anything under the bed. I would expect limitted air flow there, and much of the airflow that is present is hot air that's already blown through the radiator and/or over/around the rest of the drivetrain. You also add the chance of picking up road debris or any sort of junk thrown up.

My I/C radiator is a little different. 26"x7"x2"

I like your set up. Thank you for the pics

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get her done for the Texas Meet!

I'd love to. Block is cracked @ heater (realized after reseal and studded heads) sooo, I eventually decided to call Mel. I have a Moose Mover 300 on the way / in progress. I have my doubts as to whether I'll even have the engine here by the end of next month. I may end up driving a gasser down there :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online