How Many

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Can's of Sea Foam do I need to get:D :D

Planning on replacing the fuel filter Sat & am going to fill up the filter housing with Sea Foam & then give both tanks the Sea Foam treatment:D :D

This had better work or somebody from Neckervill is going to be in hot waterLOL LOL

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Rampy I just ran 1 can thru the front tank with about 15 gals of fuel, MAN what a difference. I'd suggest 1 can for the filter bowl (I didn't do this) and 1 for 1 of the tanks, 1 can treats 8-25 gallons.

John

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Originally posted by jharvey
Rampy I just ran 1 can thru the front tank with about 15 gals of fuel, MAN what a difference. I'd suggest 1 can for the filter bowl (I didn't do this) and 1 for 1 of the tanks, 1 can treats 8-25 gallons.

John

geonc said it works great by doing the fuel filter/bowl trick, so it I have any problems he's going to be hurtingLOL LOL

Guess I'll get 3 can's just to be on the safe side:D :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rampy,

Let us know how it turns out please.

Mike

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ramprat
Can's of Sea Foam do I need to get

Planning on replacing the fuel filter Sat & am going to fill up the filter housing with Sea Foam & then give both tanks the Sea Foam treatment

This had better work or somebody from Neckervill is going to be in hot waterLOL LOL /QUOTE]

WHO.................. ME;p

Rampy, I generally get 3 cans...............when you change out the fuel filter, get as much of the fuel out a s possible...either with a small turkey baster, or someting similiar.
Put the new filter in and then fill the bowl and filter full of the sea-foam.

Have you ever removed the regulator assy from the left side of the filter??????????....2 bolts-10mm socket.

Gently move away from the bowl and you will notice a thin "O" ring---DON'T LET IT fall into the valley of death:eek: ;)

Some luck can be had by placing a piece of white cardstock under the area...

Use a Q-tip or similiar to remove the small-about dime size- screen from the filter bowl- you can see the port where this is-
the screen will prolly have a build-up of muck....clean this screen and re-install, paying careful attn to that little "O" ring.

I usually put 1 full can in each full tank..............

Hope this helps.....................BTW:moon: ;)

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I did the O ring trick back in the summer of 98 & once since living here. 1st time the screen was nasty, 2nd time clean.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember to swing by NAPA & get 3 cans of foam & one of carb cleaner.

After I take out the filter & drain the housing I'm planning on washing it down with the carb cleaner getting rid of any gunk underneath where the filter sits.

Will then fill the housing up part way insert filter & finish filling the housing up with sea foam.

What kind of results should I expect in the way of smoke, rough running or what till the foam get's burnt up & she's running on diesel.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expect a whole lotta smoke while your burning that filter case down, then once its diluted with fuel it will prolly settle back to normal.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I knew I missed something when I did my truck...

I forgot to fill the fuel filter....

Oh well... I am running the Outlaw stuff now and will probably do the Seafoam between each tank to keep the injectors clear... the biggest caveat that they had was plugging the injector tips with this stuff..

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Dieselmaster, what's the outlaw stuff you are running & what do you mean by plugging the injector tips:confused: :confused:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
It's a heavy duty cetane booster...

Takes your cetane levels up by 12 points on average... But it really, Really, doesn't like water and it contains metal particles to help prolong the burn... When I bought the stuff they said I needed to watch it very closely because it could foul an injector... I think they were more concerned with the water issue... because I asked about running it tank after tank and they said no problem...

Its great stuff... just expensive... $63 a gallon...and thats with shipping..... treats 128 gallons of fuel... so for me that works out to about 3 tanks...

This is my first time trying it... the one thing they said is that it should really help with smoke... and I can say that it really does... When I put my chip on the 120hp setting it used to smoke like a freight train... now its like it was with the 80hp Superchip...

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That's the bad thing about water in fuel..........The injectors cannot atomize the water and the result is a blown tip.

Sea-Foam has given great results to myself and the people I reccomend it to;)

Different trucks produce varying results as far as smoke is concerned.....dependent on how bad the fuel system is.

Expect some light to moderatly heavy white smoke...similiar to the smoke produced from a smoking bearing.......if any one has experienced that:eek:

It's best to do this with an engine at operating temps...especially those from the IDI group.....some light throttle MAY be required
to maintain eng speed after changing the fuel filter...1 more reason to go with an electric fuel pump;)

Rampy, give us an update after you do this..........:cheers:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Hummmmm, picked up 3 cans of sea foam & dang that crap is expensive:eek: :eek:

Last time we gout it it was on sale & now it's not:(

I've got to check, but think there is one fuel filter left, if not I've got to get one Saturday.

Will let ya know how smoky the fire house get's as that's where I'll be working on her at;p ;p

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Me stupid:D

Did not have the extra fuel filter I thought I had:eek: & after calling around town I refused to pay way way more than b mail order so I reused the current fuel filter (for now) :sorry:

Anywhoo, had some crap in the bottom of the fuel bowl & cleaned it out as best as I could with the carb cleaner, letting it soak & then rinsing it out again. Did not get all of it out, but it got the majority;p

Put one can of Sea Foam in the filter housing & it did not quite fill it 1/2 way up. Figured what the heck & put 1/3rd of another can in the filter :rolleyes:

Silly me did not take into account that the fuel filter was already diesel logged so when the filter went in the Sea Foam went over the side of the filter bowl:(

But at least I know it was FULL LOL

When I fired up the PSD it ran like normal, no smoking at all of any kind (was indoors) no stuttering, no hesitation or anything:confused:

Put the other 1 & 1/2 cans of Sea Foam in the front tank, ran out to Flying J filled both & came home.

At no time have I noticed anything different than pre Sea Foam, same black smoke when I get on her & everything:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online