How I killed the drone on my straight piped 2nd Gen.

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
This is the second diesel I have owned. As with the first, the day after I got it I straight piped it. There is usually no need for a muffler on a turbo diesel, that is unless you're towing heavy. I knew that drone had to stop, but I wanted that straight pipe sound otherwise. I decided to design and build my own muffler rather than buying something fancy. Here's what I came up with:

The canister is 6" aluminized exhaust tubing, the inner core is perforated 4" with 37 percent open area, the end caps are 3/16" steel which I cut out with my plasma cutter, the tubing started out as 4" and I had it swedged open at the muffler shop. The packing is 1200 degree fiberglass.
You must be registered for see images attach

I weld it all together using my 220 Mig with Argon/CO2 mix. The penetration is excellent.

This thing is massive!

The case is 12" the tubing coming out is an inch and a half or so. The entire muffler is around 15" As you can see, it's entirely hand built.

I've heard that the drone comes from the tailpipe section in our trucks. Resonance is actually the tubing vibrating. To stop this I wanted the muffler as far back as possible, but I also wanted some tubing after the muffler to scavenge as efficiently as possible. Here's what I came up with.

Sorry GM, I stole your exit location. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I didn't want anything fancy for a tip, this is just my tow truck/ daily driver. I went for clean and simple.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good.For my truck I can't really do much to quiet it down much, because the engine is louder than the exhaust(gotta love 1st gens) and I don't have an overdrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726