How do you get masive ammounts of water out of oil?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So heres the deal. You go pick up 50-200 gallons of oil in 1 shot (like I did last night) and it looks like 30% of the total volume could be rain water. How do you get it out? Im hopeing for a pour it in and walk away kind of sollution... And I'd rather not heat something thats unattended or in that kind of volume. I was thinking of a restraunt greese trap, but not too sure if thats going to do the trick or flow the kind of rates I want.

I talked too MudHog and he says boil it OR get a mexican with a dixi cup to skim off the good stuff.... I think both are going to be more hastle than thier worth.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
If you are keeping you oil in 55 gallon drums, just put a 1x4 under the side, so that it tips toward one of the bungs slightly. Get a section of 1/8" pipe or brake tubing, just longer than the barrel is tall. Put a piece of clear vinyl tubing on the end, and run it to a 12 volt (Jiffy)pump, then into a bucket.

Run the tubing to the lowest point in the barrel, and turn on the pump. When the stuff in the tubing changes from water to oil, which you should be able to tell by color, turn off the pump, and dump the bucket.

The precentage of water left in the barrel should be low enough after this treatment, to continue with you proccess. If you are still worried, get a hydraulic filter and pump the oil through that.

Just $.02 from the lowbuck committee.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
PackRat said:
If you are keeping you oil in 55 gallon drums, just put a 1x4 under the side, so that it tips toward one of the bungs slightly. Get a section of 1/8" pipe or brake tubing, just longer than the barrel is tall. Put a piece of clear vinyl tubing on the end, and run it to a 12 volt (Jiffy)pump, then into a bucket.

Run the tubing to the lowest point in the barrel, and turn on the pump. When the stuff in the tubing changes from water to oil, which you should be able to tell by color, turn off the pump, and dump the bucket.

The precentage of water left in the barrel should be low enough after this treatment, to continue with you proccess. If you are still worried, get a hydraulic filter and pump the oil through that.

Just $.02 from the lowbuck committee.

Probably the best idea so far for being easy (tube/pipe to bottom). Barrell will have to sit for a day though to make sure the water is settled out. OR you could just suck the oil out going top down to bottom, and when the color changes.... stop and dump the barrel of water. Still have to wait a day on this method too for reason above.

Best way to finish off is to get a hydraulic filter and run it through that at slow rates for 24 hours or better... also known as polishing the oil. could be a PITA setup though depending on the amt. of water left and if its even worth it.

If I had that kind water contamination to start with in the hydraulics... I'd just dump it and recharge with fresh oil. LOL yes, hydraulics is my life's work at the moment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel