how bad did I hurt it.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, Talk about a bummer feeling after a great trip.
the truck pulled like a champ! never has it done this well before. I was so happy.

then.... thanks the the Baumann TCS... Which displays the trans temp from the trans sensor where ever it is... I got the trans to 270 when parking the TT. (gauge in port never showed mor than 225)

How bad is it? or will it be ok?

Thanks
Doug

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Where are you taking the measurement for the gauge? Is this in the port right next to the tranny lines on the side of the tranny? This would be the same as taking a measurement in the pan which has returning fluid in it so naturally it will be cooler.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 225 was from the pressure port gauge.
The 270 was from the E4OD computer, wherever that take the temp from?
It was not there long, I actually had completed backing, and was getting back into the truck after unhooking the TT when I saw the reading and about freaked out!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the 270 degree temp was accurate then you have only minutes before the trans is hurt. What color is the fluid and does it smell burned? If so change it and watch it for the next few miles.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
How does one get a trans so hot while just backing up a trailer? Or do they always get this hot?

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i think i rember reading something that said that these trans go in reverse mechanicaly and dont pump the trans fluid.:dunno

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
if i were you i would change the fluid(make sure to drain the converter too). if it wasnt there for too long i think youll be fine.:hail :angel:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one get a trans so hot while just backing up a trailer? Or do they always get this hot?

You are really making the torque converter work when shuffling around like that. The torque converter is a big source of heat in a tranny.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey you should flush the tranny and converter using Travis' method pull the cooling lines and then idle the motor till most of teh old fluid is out, then continue to flush it with a couple quarts of clean atf and then you add in some new clean ATF. Good luck with it, I hope it is not hurt.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not that this is the best thing nor would I recommend it but...Last year heading to Chatty pulling the TT I maxed out the tranny temp gauge and like an idiot I didn't pull over and let her cool. cookoo Well.....making a left turn up a hill from a stop light the tranny decided she was gonna force me to stop! Right in the middle of the road! :rolleyes: It didn't matter which gear I put it in the tach would go way up but the truck wouldn't move! -cuss The drain or weep pipe (whatever you call it) was working overtime dumping tranny fluid on the ground! (Gave the local Fire Dept a workout for sure) Anyway the PAFixit Family was caravanning with us and Joe ran up to the local dept. store and bought me a bunch of tranny fluid. Long story longer...we let it cool in the street for about 15 mins and filled her back up with fluid...this allowed it to start moving again and I pulled into a big parking lot and let it cool for about 30 to 45 mins. Filled it up the rest of the way and continued on to Chatty. I have not done anything to it since and I've pulled all the way back from TN, made several more camping trips last year and pulled twice to Atlanta and Eastern GA this year with no problems. Needless to say I watch that temp gauge very very very closely now and I definately want to hook the stock in the radiator cooler back up to help alittle with the temps. Anyway I know I went along way around to answer your question but in my experience I think you will be just fine. ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The pressure port gauge location will give the same readings as the pan, in that location you don't want to go above 200 degrees and if you do you don't do it for long. What you do when it does get that high is just place her in park and LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING. THis will circulate the fluid and will help keep her at an even temp instead of promoting hot spots. Let her run until she gets down below 200 degrees then you can either continue backing or shut her down to go inside....

The PCM gets it's temp reading from the actual working temp of the fluid (better indication of what's going on if you ask me) now with this I would try and keep this below 225 but I would nto be scared to run at 225~245 all day long. If I got above the 245 I would just give her a little rest then continue doing what it was that I was doing...

Now as for why the trans generates so much heat in reverse....

YOu are are low speed and the TC is not locked, the TC is nothing more than a fluid coupling device - so it will generate tons of heat when it's not locked. IT's normal for the temp to climb while backing a heavy load.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
You guys are making me feel better. I am going to change the fluid, and see where it stands. I think with all the trans issues, I am just way over paranoid.

Thanks
Doug

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I'd strongly recomend putting it in 4-low (but leave the hubs unlocked) for backing a heavy trailer much - the revers bands in E4OD's are not the best and as you noted the trans tends to get really hot when working in reverse - I've replaced more than a few E4OD's that died in reverse due to drastic overheating. Doesn't sound like yours got hot enough to cause damage, but its not doing it any favors. I'd change the coolant and be a little more careful in the future - using the low range drastically reduces the torque the trans will feel and will keep it much cooler. Of course this isn't an option if you have auto-locking hubs and are backing on a hard, dry surface.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used 4lo in the past, I really wanted to use the 2nd trans programming option for towing, and one for good MPG. Looks like it is one for Towing, and one for 4LO. Just to pull that thing up into the driveway and get it parked!

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I have used 4lo in the past, I really wanted to use the 2nd trans programming option for towing, and one for good MPG. Looks like it is one for Towing, and one for 4LO. Just to pull that thing up into the driveway and get it parked!

Doug, the 2nd table does not work for Lo Range with the Baumann TCS. You'd usually be in 1st with shift lever in 1st or rev anyway. Okiegringo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.