Hose to Lift Pump: How Did They Do This?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
So, before I put this hose back in, I am obsessed with learning this answer....

Lift pump died a few years ago, and the fleet shop I deal with did the change. The hose from the crossmember/tank line that connects to the lift pump was changed at that time.

Don't know about you F-truck guys, but my van requires a 120º? 130º? bend for this hose. This one clearly appears to be straight hose, but bent to 90º somehow. Straight pieces flatten at the stress point. This hose is malleable enough to almost straighten again; no way it was molded (and no one's heard of this piece molded)

HOW did the old-timer, long-gone tech perform this miracle? The fleet shop guys there now suggested (1) heat or (2) soaking in brake solvent to get this result.

Pls pardon the crappy pic. Any thoughts, gentlemen?

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Normally they are all longer and make a full circle loop.

That makes sense, 79jasper. Don't know if you've dealt with vans much, but the engine actually is not centered laterally in the frame, but offset several inches toward the passenger side. As a result, I imagine the space I'm working in is way smaller than on an F.

A comfortable loop looks very unlikely... thus: the harsh, flattening bend.

Here's a pic from below. Frame rail is at top, actual hose pictured above at far left..... (leak dealt with recently -- dry now!)

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
79jasper wrote: "@SDEconVan how is yours?"

Hmmm, mine looks fine:

(elbow macaroni bent hose, lower left background in photo, is the line in question)

A bend that severe must be supplied "as molded" from manufacturer, there is no way
to use straight hose alone to overcome that close quarter bend. I liken this to radiator
hoses that are pre-bent.

You could add a spring, either inside or outside (preferred) to hold the hose in a round
cross-section.

Best regards,
George

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
So, before I put this hose back in, I am obsessed with learning this answer....

Lift pump died a few years ago, and the fleet shop I deal with did the change. The hose from the crossmember/tank line that connects to the lift pump was changed at that time.

Don't know about you F-truck guys, but my van requires a 120º? 130º? bend for this hose. This one clearly appears to be straight hose, but bent to 90º somehow. Straight pieces flatten at the stress point. This hose is malleable enough to almost straighten again; no way it was molded (and no one's heard of this piece molded)

HOW did the old-timer, long-gone tech perform this miracle? The fleet shop guys there now suggested (1) heat or (2) soaking in brake solvent to get this result.

Pls pardon the crappy pic. Any thoughts, gentlemen?

Fill it full of sand, tie it to a stick on each end and hang the bend portion in a pot of boiling water for ten minutes. Remove and leave tied to stick until completely cooled. Flush THOROUGHLY and meticulously.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been about 5 seconds from ordering a Duralift, for about 2 weeks now, Waystro. I keep procrastinating, due to >where to locate it on my van?<......

Yeah, lame, I know.

duralift pumps are puller pumps.
you can always go with a pusher pump....

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My duralift is mounted on the frame rail directly beneath the drivers seat.

Every now and then, under full load, the fuel filter light just starts to come on. I'm ok with it.

Just mount it up closer to the front and it should work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online