Hose inside a hose?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I dropped my rear tank today, (Yes, on purpose) and when I took the filler neck out, there was a smaller hose, about 1 1/2" inside the bigger outside hose, maybe 2 1/2"
What gives here?
Is this some way to vent air while it's filling? If it is, it fails miserably, as I have to be careful filling the tanks, or it'll burp fuel out all over the place.

1992camarors

Reaction score
Yes I agree with you here, it takes me a few minutes just to put twenty dollars in or else it will end up all over the ground lol. It is like a clear plastic tube within that main black rubber filler neck.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Posted by Okie ****** a while back:

Here ya go...but if you don't have the time to do the whole mod, try just removing the the upper neck and use the hole saw around the inside edge of the tube. Remember to take the "pilot bit" out first, it just gets in the way. If you don't do the whole job, you'll need to add a piece to the OEM plastic vent tube long enough to reach up past where the fill nozzle will fit in. Flatten the vent tube at the top to give room for the nozzle. This should work.

Take the filler neck out and remove the black hose that goes into the tank. It's stubborn but it will come off. I believe a one inch hole saw (remove the pilot bit first)is needed to gut the filler neck and throw the internals away. You'll want to cut into the inner part of the filler with a reciprocating saw to make pulling it out easier. You'll have to work it a bit but it'll come out eventually. A quarter inch piece of copper tubing needs to be brazed or epoxied to the top of the filler neck after drilling a hole in it. The tubing must be above where the end of the nozzle sits in the filler during fueling. Next you'll need to get to the top of the tanks. The rear tank is dropped by removing the skid plates that hold the tank up. Loosen the top straps to take pressure off the plates. The rollover valve in the top of the tank has a breather hose attached to it. Take the valve out and remove the guts. Drill it out as far as you can and then re-install being careful not to drop it in the tank or push it too far in the gromet or you'll be dropping the tank to fish it out. Get a new piece of 1/4" fuel line to run from the rollover valve to the fitting brazed on the filler. That is your new breather. Wire tie the hose into place and you should be good. If you need to drop the tanks all the way be sure to get(buy, rent, steal) the 'fuel line disconnect tool' or else the couplers aren't coming apart! This "mod" is a hassle/pain-in-the-****, but worth it. This ‘MOD’ makes filling the tanks soooo much easier/faster. Have fun,

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Ding!!!
This I shall do.

I had no problem with the clamps, though. Just pull the plastic lock off of the side, and the lines slide right off. I did mangle one, but they're available in a package for a couple bucks.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That hose is to keep an "air space" in the top of the tank to leave room for fuel expansion. Once the fuel level is to the bottom of that hose, no more air can come out, hence no more fuel can come in.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Transferflow makes a nice filler neck replacement also that aleviates this problem. Kinda pricey, but I installed one when I had to replace a tank anyway. Works like a champ.

Tom

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Transferflow quit making the one for 86 and older right after they sent me the catalog I tried to buy from. They were listed in the catalog, but when I called them they had been discontinued.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My filler necks have been modified "***** style" (my dad). If I use the big rig pump I can fill an empty tank in less than 60 seconds and never spill a drop of diesel. Yup, I can fill both tanks in less than two minutes..... NO BS!::D The vent is one inch now and the rollover valve has been moved. I can give some details if needed, but I'm sure it's real similar to the Baja/Okie mods.

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me some time and I might be able to add some photos too. Work is real busy.

Heath