Holy Cow!!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I bought my truck a year ago. It's never impressed me much in terms of economy or power. I don't need the power, and only drive this one when I'd be tearing up my new one or needd a flatbed (3k miles per year) so I always figured I'd leave well enough alone. I changed the oil once in the past year and got new drive axle tires.

Anyway, mileage has been dropping to the point where I got 180 miles out of my last tank (mostly at 55 mph on country roads and some pulling my big mower out of the mud). I filled up with 28 gallons at 3.35 and knew something had to change. After all, my new truck, depreciation included was cheaper than this one now.

So I gave it a tune up. Spark plug electrodes were worn all the back to the ceramic. Plug wires were original (200k) and dist cap and rotor were severly worn. More so than any other one I;ve seen anyway. Did all that and not much difference other than the miss I had went away.

I got out the timing light and unplugged the SPOUT connector. It was way off. it was at 4 degrees btdc. So, I turned it. The idle shot way up. WOW, I thought!! I set it at 10 and went for a ride.

WOW!!! I think I found 75-100 HP. This was a different truck. The exhaust sounded different (tight now), and it just purred. I could roast the tires in second gear and was shifting at 4500 RPM. This thing would give my (much heavier) duramax a run for it's money now. I love it!!

I'm back down to put a new air filter and clean up the throttle body. I'm going to try running 12 degrees and see if I get any pinging. I don't have an emissions label (can anyone take a picture of one?).

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Fixing the timing should fix your milage. Its amazing what a little adjustment will do.
Ken

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Is the timing chain what lets the timing get retarded?

I figured someone timed it without unplugging the SPOUT connector, disconnecting the base timing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online