highboy

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it mid 77 that they changed over? Some were "high boys" and some were "low boys"

I had a 76 high boy once, divorced 205 t-case, C6, 390. Those trucks are cool.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it mid 77 that they changed over? Some were "high boys" and some were "low boys"

I had a 76 high boy once, divorced 205 t-case, C6, 390. Those trucks are cool.

It's a highboy, see the front frame brace under the bumper.. Dead giveaway, only highboy's had that.. Also yes 77.5 went to the new f-250 or "lowboy", my buudy has two 77's both highboys, those trucks are crude and awsome.

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes you think it is a Highboy and not a regular f250?

And doesnt this belong in the gas section.

And unless it was swaped, that looks to be a d44 HD or a lp60, not a hp60, because the hp60 was lowboy only and didnt use external type lockouts iirc.
Cool truck indeed, I never havent had a HB, yet:sly
Matthew

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep like i said 100% definate highboy, frame brace under front bumper is the dead giveaway.. The front rear is a d44hd, ford never offered a d60 from the factory untill 1978 snowfighter only, atleast thats what i understand. Me and my buddy looked into it for his highboy, and thats the info we found.. thanks

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
And unless it was swaped, that looks to be a d44 HD or a lp60, not a hp60, because the hp60 was lowboy only and didnt use external type lockouts iirc.
Cool truck indeed, I never havent had a HB, yet:sly
Matthew

You got better eyes than me if you can see the pinion thru the body

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got better eyes than me if you can see the pinion thru the body

Well he's proby just looking at the old school spicer type hubs on the front. But ya "highboy" = low pinion pos d44hd, i know quit a bit about these 73-77 highboy's as my buddy is nut's over themcookoo. He's got two 77 highboys, one driver and one his old man bought new wich is stripped to the frame being restored...

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
What makes you think it is a Highboy and not a regular f250?

And doesnt this belong in the gas section.

It has the bar under the bumper here is one way of telling the second it has 2.25 rear springs and 3in wide front springs that right there is there tells me it is and it has the 4in lift just like the highboy so with all 3 of those it is deff a hiboy lol

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
It has a 351m in it now. It does have the divorce transfer case and it was made in dec of 76.....only has 136000 miles and there is only a little rust on it

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has the bar under the bumper here is one way of telling the second it has 2.25 rear springs and 3in wide front springs that right there is there tells me it is and it has the 4in lift just like the highboy so with all 3 of those it is deff a hiboy lol

There was no "factory lift", thats a myth.. All pre 77.5's sit roughly the same hight, all have lowsy 2.25 rear springs and they are all "highboys", the term comes from old 80's parts catalogs that had to list differant parts for up-77.5 and after 77.5, i beleave it was JCwhitney that coined the term's highboy and lowboy.. They sit a good 3" higher than a 77.5-up "lowboy", wich was a much improved better truck. Another myth is that they built an f-150 "highboy", wich is donky *****.. Like i said, me and my buddy have done some research..;Really

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Well at least you know what you are talking about/ I cant tell you how many times I have heard "i got a highboy" and it is a F150

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
There was no "factory lift", thats a myth.. All pre 77.5's sit roughly the same hight, all have lowsy 2.25 rear springs and they are all "highboys", the term comes from old 80's parts catalogs that had to list differant parts for up-77.5 and after 77.5, i beleave it was JCwhitney that coined the term's highboy and lowboy.. They sit a good 3" higher than a 77.5-up "lowboy", wich was a much improved better truck. Another myth is that they built an f-150 "highboy", wich is donky *****.. Like i said, me and my buddy have done some research..;Really

Exactly g.w my one buddy does that **** run around sayin he has a 1979 f150 highboy

But the frames are smaller in width i took a bed off a 1977 and the bolt holes for the bed were and 1inch off

My 1977 high boy has a dana 44 big hub

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score

Um i don't what to sound mean but they did come factory lifted I believe they have a skyjacker lift blocks on them the front dosent have much of one but the rear has 4in blocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726