High pitch squeal from fan clutch/wp pulley?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fan clutch makes a high pitch squeal, I determined it was the fan clutch (or is it called the waterpump pulley?) by spraying some wd40 where the fan attaches to the engine pulley and where the pulley meets the engine, which stoped the squealing momentarily. It is extremely loud, and I noticed some rust just above the pulley and on the cover plate that covers the ip to timing gear bolts. Theres also a tad bit of rust close to the vaccum pump. Because of the presence of rust I am thinking I have a leaking water pump, but that doesnt make to much sense b/c theres no puddle of coolant under the truck. I also see some rust where the upper rad hose attached to the engine.

I will take the belt off and try spinning the fan to see if theres binding going on, but other than that...and of course wd40ing the crap outta the pulley I dont know what to do. Not saying I want to bandage the noise by constantly drenching it in wd40 but I just cant stand the noise till I figure out the actually problem.

Edit: and the cooling system seems to be working as I do get heat in the cab and I can feel the upper rad hose get warm

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust is probably metal powder. Fine particles of metal that are sitting there rusting. So keep investigating, something is going wrong there. I don't know if it would be a bearing or something else rubbing.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is your belt???
Could it be getting "dry", then the noise???

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My belt, tensioner and idler are about a year and a half old , ok I will park the truck till I find out whats causing the issue.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some reading about other peoples fan issues, I have noticed that my fan is on all the time. From when I start the truck to when I shut it down no matter what the temp is. Does this mean my fan clutch isnt doing its job?......The fan has been like this the entire time I owned the truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fan is supposed to spin no matter what temp the coolant is. As for locked up and roaring like a b29 propeller I can't say from the get go. Mine does start spinning at cold start up. then after a few minutes it slows down and the sound is not so loud from pulling air. If I shut down the engine ht e crank stops quickly but the fan continues spinning but only makes a few turns before it too stops. Thats the usual operation of a fan clutch.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of them do roar when the engine is first started. The fluid inside the clutch settles out, which engages the clutch when it first starts spinning. After a few seconds of spinning the fluid gets back to where it's supposed to be and the clutch dis-engages.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the pulley that the fans attached to is called the crank pulley?

Mines not that loud, it probably does change in how fast it spins I have just never paid to much attention to it. I will take a look today and report back and I check how 'free' the fan turns.

Edit: just read oogs waterpump DIY i confirmed its the wp pulley

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gavin...the part the pulley is attached to is the pulley's name...

EG if on water pump....water pump pulley, if on crank....crank pulley, if on vacuum pump ....vacuum pump pulley and so on.

This is the normal nomenclature

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the nomenclature 101 Al

I took the belt off and spun the water pump pulley by hand, it does move, there is a bit of resistance there but I assume thats normal. The fan also spins, again not extremely easy but I didnt feel any binding or anything. I sprayed quite a bit of 'moov-it' lube where the pulley meets the block. Then i fired the truck up and heard a normal running idi.

And the fan seems to work based on what you guys said a wqorking fan should do.

I popped the rad cap off and determined I do have coolant.

Now I dont really know where to go as far as troubleshooting the squeal. I know that it is the waterpump pulley but I don;t know why? Should I just replace the water pump?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Water pump for sure.
Once the belt is off, you should be able to spin it almost freely.

You already diagnosed it by spraying it with lube, then the noise stopped.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the belt is off, grab fan by top and bottom best you can, then wiggle up down if you have play it's likely the bearing in the pump going...

Also check the bearings on the ALT by doing same and the IDLER and TENSIONER by doing same...wiggle them trying to feel loose bearing clunk.

Don't spin them just try and see if there is free up/down movement.

Oh...don't foget the VACUUM pump and the PS pump too...check them all!!!!!!!

ONE has to be the weak link!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it does fail will the pulley seize up and ruin my belt? I assume it would seize up b/c of the noise, after my spray down with moovit lube it seems quite.....im trying to get as much use out of it till its warmer outside to change it out :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online