high oil temps

racecar

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 7.3 non turbo idi in a 4600 international that the oil temp light comes on under long heavy load up a hill, or giving it empty at 2600-2900 rpm. Exhaust temps under these conditions are 1150-1200 (pyro is at exhaust manifold flange) but water temp rises to about 180-190? Is the oil really that hot or is the sensor faulty? Could the oil cooler be plugged?
thanks
Have a turbo on the bench but want to sort this out first.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
How long has it been doing this and has anything else changed? Water temp sounds good, egts are maybe a tad high to be comfortable with running for very long.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
From what I understand the radiator on these things were designed to keep water temps down, as they are massive. On long pulls oil temps will go up as the piston oil squirters put oil on yhe bottom of yhe pistons to help keep them from getting so hot they melt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. Long climbs are where the oil temp will really spike. Getting the EGT's down is key to keeping oil temp down. Get a turbo and an intercooler. ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler tube very well may be clogged with debrit from the coolant. I just removed the oil cooler on my 322,000 mile 6.9. About 1/3 of the tubes in the core where clogged with junk, mostly scale. That's gotta cut down on the effiecenty. Do you have an oil temp gauge? That would help you know exactly how hot the oil is getting.

I agree with Mel. Get the EGT's down (with the turbo and innercooler) and that should help the oil temps as well.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Seeing that it goes up to 2900, what pump does it have on it? does it have an IH injection pump or a ford pump? How many miles on the pump? and when was it changed out? was it timed properly?

racecar

Reaction score
I had the pump rebuilt to ford specs last year, there is about 10,000 miles on the pump. It will actually rev up to 3100, too ******* it I think when loaded. We timed it by ear and how it feels, can't find anyone to time it locally. Do you think too much advance would give these high temps? (starts easy and glow plugs are good) I have an powerstroke intercooler and a stock idi turbo for this truck, but I want to solve this oil temp issue. I will try to install a temp gauge on the truck to see if the idiot light is accurate.
Thanks for the responses.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you get too far advanced it can feel awful good, but you can wind up cooking the thing if you aren't careful. Timing by ear is playing with fire..

racecar

Reaction score
I am going to take some timing out of it and see if that is the problem.
Thanks