High idle solenoid. Where to buy?

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched on here and been unsuccessful in any results. Could anyone tell me where i can find a new high idle solenoid? Mine is completely inop and it would really make it nice in the mornings. My local international dealer couldn't help me out, and the parts houses just give me funny looks.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know if its working or not? My truck idles rough on cold starts but if I idle it up a bit it smoths out quite a bit. It doesn't seem like I have a higher idle on cold starts so I am thinking it doesn't work. I also wondered about the timing advance how to tell if it works or not.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know if its working or not? My truck idles rough on cold starts but if I idle it up a bit it smoths out quite a bit. It doesn't seem like I have a higher idle on cold starts so I am thinking it doesn't work. I also wondered about the timing advance how to tell if it works or not.

Look way down behind the alternator on the engine, there is a temp sensor there for this circuit. Unplug it, and with the engine warmed up and idiling, take a small jumper wire and jump the terminals on the plug you unplugged. The engine may sound a little different when you do this, and then if you reach over and goose the throttle, the high idle solenoid should extend and you should have a higher idle. It's not strong enough to push the throttle open for the high idle, but it is strong enough to hold the throttle open for the higher idle.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you put a hot wire on this somehow and use a toggle switch to engage and disengage the high idle? I was thinking about that a few days ago for my truck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you put a hot wire on this somehow and use a toggle switch to engage and disengage the high idle? I was thinking about that a few days ago for my truck.

I did this exact thing to my truck, except I didn't want to modify the wiring, so I unplugged the sensor I was talking about, stuck two spade connectors in it, and ran two wires into the cab to a toggle switch. I did this because my sensor has gone bad.

I used it for awhile, but really saw no benefits as far as quicker starting, less smoke or anything else, so I took it back out. And because of that I am not going to spend over $50 for a new sensor/switch either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online