High Idle and Timing Advance Question, and Glow Plug Circuit

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought my cold idle solenoid wasn't working on my new truck and I tested the solenoid by running a jumper wire and it does function like normal. In doing my research on a manual switch for high idle I noticed that the cold advance and high idle are triggered by the same 112 degree coolant temperature switch. Does anyone know where this switch/sensor is? Is it the one on the driver's head or is that just the over temp light? What are the draw backs to not having the timing advance hooked up? Also, does the switch/sensor connect into the glow plug system? The plugs cycle just as long when starting in a drive through as when it is -20f outside and sat all night.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sensor is on the passenger side, right close to the #1 cyl glow plug.

The glow plug controller is not connected in any way to that sensor.

There are two sensors on the drivers side for coolant. The lower one on the head is for the coolant temp gauge. The upper one is the over temp light.

Attachments

• 7_3 IDI sensor layout (1).gif
    7_3 IDI sensor layout (1).gif
    248.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor is on the passenger side, right close to the #1 cyl glow plug.

The glow plug controller is not connected in any way to that sensor.

There are two sensors on the drivers side for coolant. The lower one on the head is for the coolant temp gauge. The upper one is the over temp light.
Thanks.
I have always heard the other way around, for the drivers side. The block is for the gauge and the head is the over temp?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Drivers side front of the head is the big overtemp switch and drivers side block is the small sender for the dash gauge. Behind the thermostat housing is the fast idle cold advance sender. I'm told it can be reached without removing the housing but I have not tried it yet. Mine needs to be replaced because the advance drops out way too early.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See right there we have this contradiction again. Old Bull posted the picture that it shows in my supplement manual, but icanfixall is saying the opposite of the picture.

Back to the original topic, Gary do you know if the offer replacement senders for the idle/advance? What is it even called?

fhafer

Reaction score
I just bought one at the dealership...it comes with a new pigtail because the dealership no longer carries the sensor with the flat blade connections; the new switch/sensor has a round connector; the part number is 9U2Z-12A648-A and it is called a "Sender", This fit and works on my 1990 F-250 7.3 idi/na. My sender was located behind the thermostat housing and I removed/reinstalled it easily with a 3/8" ratchet, extension, and deep well socket. Nothing else needed to be removed.

fhafer

Reaction score
On another note...O'Reilley's Auto Parts also sells the sender and pigtail, but they are sold seperately. They look different than the old OEM with the flate blade spade connectors, but they are nearly identical to the new style OEM sender currently sold by the dealerships. Same, same for NAPA.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect! From a quick part number search it looks like that part number shows up on a lot of stuff up until 2007 so this should be around for a while.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Drivers side front of the head is the big overtemp switch and drivers side block is the small sender for the dash gauge..

See right there we have this contradiction again.

Gary/icanfixall is correct.oldbull just stated it backwards here.easy mistake.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Just a quick question in high idle?
when I start my truck I have to tap the gas to get it to RPMs to ramp up to 1k and hold, it doesnt do it by itself.

My question is.. should it bump itself up?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See the cold start instructions on the drivers side flip down visor. Its tells us to press the throttle down when the key is turned on. then let off. the small fast idle solenoid can't open the throttle by itself. It needs help. Not doing that can burn up the solenoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin