Hey, I thought ...(oil filter related)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the Motorcraft (power stroke oil filter) # FL-1995 ($9+) would fit on the IDI's? Well I don't see how it would fit on my 88 7.3! Tooooo long and will hit a hard oil line and or maybe the frame cross member. :eek:
Damn shame :( , because Wal-Mart also had the SuperTech version of the PS Filter # ST-3786 for $6.62
I sure did like the looks of the longer Super Tech Power Stroke filter :love:

Sooooo I bought a few standard size Motorcraft filters FL-784 $5.50 each (not many left) guess I'll go get a few more!

PS. Auto Zone's price for Delvac 1300 is nor $8.00 per gallon :shocked: ...must be because of the new style jug and the built in pull out spout :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ajd257

Reaction score
To bad about the oil filter, the FL-1995 fits my truck with room to spare, i didnt realize there was that much difference in the trucks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It fits both my trucks Ray. I've heard of a few cases though, where it doesn't for whatever reason. Maybe your whole engine/tranny assy is forward in the slots? Is that possible Calvin?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
It fits both my trucks Ray. I've heard of a few cases though, where it doesn't for whatever reason. Maybe your whole engine/tranny assy is forward in the slots? Is that possible Calvin?
mel- not possible. get underneath and take a look at the crossmember where the motor mount studs come through. they are in a up/down position ending in a "V" where the studs rest. saggy mounts will cause the motor to sink further and come closer to the crossmember. Its no big deal to have saggy mounts. you might get more vibration but the mount is a captive hoop, so there is no danger of the motor flipping over.

ajd257

Reaction score
If they get to the point that its metal to metal it will be a big deal, unless you can deal with jaw rattling vibrations. Both moter mounts were shot in my dads 6.2l chevy and the vibration was awful. It would actually shake stuff off the dash. If its not that noticable, than I would say that yours arent touching metal to metal yet.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Virtually zero vibration in my truck...I don't see the longer filter fitting but, for $6.00 smakers ;Really I may just try one of the Super Tech Power Stroke filters...looked like a very well built filter. ;Sweet (who ever makes-em)

John Deere

Reaction score
I had a FL 1995 filter on the '88, it was a tight fit, but when I went to remove it during an oil change, the mud around it made it almost impossible to get my filter wrench strap over the end of it, so I put the old style filter back on.

DBogo

Reaction score
the super tech filter is made for walmart by champion and im not too familiar with champion filters

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PSD fits my truck easily, so I guess it is a truck discrepencie. I know JDkline has trouble with trying to get one onto his truck also. Says IT WILL NOT FIT. So, maybe certain trucks are just a little picky about what filter they want. Scotty

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Had just enough room on the Beef to get the FL-1995 in there. I did find that if the hard lind running next to the cross member is not attached, it will cause a spin on/off issue. :backoff

Ron

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
The K&N oil filter comes with a nut on the bottom to put it on and off with no more playing games with getting the filter lose.

Dave

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beretzs said:
So, maybe certain trucks are just a little picky about what filter they want. Scotty
That's very possible...I had more difficulty getting a FL-1995 on my old van than I do on my truck. But, I was able to do it...

That said, FL-1995 filters are the only filters to have been on my truck since I got it :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online