Here is some wonderfful news from Ats!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If you have the o88 non wastegated system, then the factory gromet will fit ( as will the oring that seals the pedestal against the manifold where the CDR used to mount ), so the one that comes in every gasket set will work, so you won't have a problem. but the guys who have the newer wastegated system are screwed.

My 093 (sorta) is using the factory grommet with out any problems. BUT that may be because it was a factory turbo, I haven't messed with a true 093 so I'm not sure if it's different.

By the way; Russ, keep up the good work, you do a lot for all of us and we are all thankful.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok, here's my cheap fix proposal. As much of the packrat I am when it comes to these IDIs and how much I always want to be prepared for the worst. I somehow used all the ATS Ford Factory and ATS 093 VP grommets that I had on the shelf.
What I did was used the NA IDI VP grommet and inserted a generic Mr Gasket valve cover breather grommet inside the NA IDI VP grommet. It slides in tight, and snaps into place when its fully seated. The look after they are placed together is much like the ATS grommet and it fits perfectly over the 093 drain as well as into the VP.
I have not used it on a running engine, but I dont see any reason for why it would leak. If a person wanted, you could use some Aircraft gasket maker inside the VP grommet and on the outside of the breather grommet to glue them together. I'd think it would work without a hitch even without gluing them together because of how perfectly they fit with eachother.
Here's a few pics of the ATS grommet compared to the one I made with the two pieces I mentioned.

ATS 093 Grommet
attachment.php

attachment.php

NA IDI Grommet w/ Mr. Gasket Valve Cover Grommet Inserted
You must be registered for see images attach

NA IDI Grommet w/ Mr. Gasket Valve Cover Grommet Inserted (Mocked up in 7.3 IDIT)

As you can see, the fit is perfect and tight, some vaseline might be required to ease the fit of the drain tube.
The best thing about this solution is that both pieces are (or should be) readily available from any decent auto parts store.
If anyone thinks this is a good solution and wants me to post detailed pics of both parts separated and how they fit together I can, its pretty self explanatory.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you can see, the fit is perfect and tight, some vaseline might be required to ease the fit of the drain tube.
The best thing about this solution is that both pieces are (or should be) readily available from any decent auto parts store.
If anyone thinks this is a good solution and wants me to post detailed pics of both parts separated and how they fit together I can, its pretty self explanatory.
I'd like to see it on a running engine to see if any leaks develop, but it looks like a good solution offhand to me! I'm curious to see what Russ or Gary have to say about it...thank you for the R&D ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks awesome to me, I would glue it together with some pink subaru seal, stuff is so good I can build a leak free VW engine.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
looks awesome to me, I would glue it together with some pink subaru seal, stuff is so good I can build a leak free VW engine.

Thanks Russ! But theres one problem with your statement there, "leak free" and "VW engine" don't belong in the same sentence. :rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shocked: Such a thing is possible?!? Now for the $1 million question...is the stuff good enough to build a leak-free 2-stroke Detroit? :angel:

Also, where do you get this stuff?

I have actually built 2 8v71's that were dry for over a year, till some ******* ethered them , while hot, cause they wouldnt start due to dead batteries.
Subaru dealer AFIK.
Hondabond is good also. Ultra gray might do the trick.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind on part numbers. Mr. Gasket part number is 5425. I cut the bottom of it off and glued it to the factory grommet with right stuff silicone sealer and it looks like it will work perfect.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I didn't even cut the bottom off, it just popped into place after rolling it into the other grommet. I believe thats the right part number too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, when I first shopped turbo's and had the choice of the 3 builders, I picked Hypermax cause I just liked everything I saw. I seems I chose wisley. I just bought an Intercooler kit (yes, the damn expensive one) and it was in-stock, and at my door in 3 days. They had me in the computer, and I mentioned Oil Burners and saved $67 with the club discount. With Hypermax the only game in town, I hope to God they hold the torch for us. They can't write documentation to save their souls, but the quality of the company, products, and phone support compensates easily.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And turbo parts are easy for me to get.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when I first shopped turbo's and had the choice of the 3 builders, I picked Hypermax cause I just liked everything I saw. I seems I chose wisley. I just bought an Intercooler kit (yes, the damn expensive one) and it was in-stock, and at my door in 3 days. They had me in the computer, and I mentioned Oil Burners and saved $67 with the club discount. With Hypermax the only game in town, I hope to God they hold the torch for us. They can't write documentation to save their souls, but the quality of the company, products, and phone support compensates easily.

thats cool about ob discount. thank you for sharing that with us mel;Sweet