here i go again....

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what i learned so far. with the meter on and the probes not touching, i get the reading of 1. when i touch the probes together, i get 0.00. so i pulled the cord off the heater. i put the probes one on each end of the plug, if that makes sense. one wire gave me a reading of 1 and the other gave me 0.00. i bought a new cord today and tested them. both wires gave me a reading of 0.00. i tried to test the heaater itself, but with the starter there, there is no way i can get my fingers up in there with the probes. so i put the new cord on and wala, i can now hear the sizzle. i also found corrosion on the passenger side positive battery clamp. i also put on a brand new fuel filter filled with howes diesel treatment. so now im waiting a bit for the heater to do its job. keep your fingers crossed........

;Sweet

zpd307

Reaction score
its running!!!!!!! i dont know why, but when i put in a new fuel filter it starts everytime. not even a new filter, just a warmed used filter will do. i was switching filters a lot last winter. makes me think that the fuel heater isnt working. so where do i put the test leads on the heater to check it, since it only has one wire going to it? the block heater did make it turn over quicker. i actually counted the gp time, it was 12 seconds. second gp cycle was only 4 seconds.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
To check the fuel heater, the one wire is power, and it grounds at the other end. I can't be more specific as it is too new for me!:rotflmao

zpd307

Reaction score
with a one wire setup like that, that is what i figured. so i hook up the red lead to the plug, where would i hook up the black lead? anywhere on the housing....

RedTruck

Reaction score
You should be able to go to the negative post on one of your batteries. It is grounded through the housing. Without actually checking a good one I would say anything other than an open circuit should be good.

Paul

zpd307

Reaction score
i will try that. did we ever figure out if the fuel heater stays on with the key or does it just heat up and then shut off when warm? i know it was discussed awhile ago....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online