help !!!!

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since i have been on here, but i knew this would be the place to come with the problem that i am having with my truck.
I have been having issues with heater coils leaking. I have replaced 5 in the last 6 months. I knew my head gaskets were leaking , so i figured that was the cause of the system over pressurizing and taking out the cores. So i redid the head gaskets, about a month ago , and the system is still over pressurizing to the point that the radiator is starting to leak on the sauter joints . What other issues can cause the system to over pressurize other then cavitation? Also when I replaced the head gaskets, I replaced the thermostat and water pump. :dunno
could a stopped up radiator cause these issues?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The radiator cap should be a 13 lb cap. You can run a lower pressure cap too. Yes, a stopped up radiator can cause an overpressure problem. What thermostat did you install. Only the Ford or International stats will work properly. They are a 192 degree stat. Others from any fake auto parts will fit but they can't pass enough coolant to keep our motors cool...

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stat came from ford and the cap is a 13psi cap. i didnt replace the cap when i did the gaskets but its been on there for about a year now. what would be the signs of cavitation? before i did the head gaskets i never had to put antifreeze in the res and it was still overpressurizing. i did notice that the top radiator hose is over pressurizing way before the engine is warm.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... Try running a 7 lb cap but... Post back what it does. At this point I can't tell you why the system seems to be pressureizing....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Funny thing I have problems with the top radiator tank seeping on 2 radiators in a row.Fortunately they were lifetime Modine.the second one is seeping now. I use Fleetgaurd elc - wonder if that could be affecting it in any way. I want to go to evans. Any input is welcome.
Criticism can be a good tool for understanding.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are you *sure* it's overpressureizing? if it really was getting leakage into the cooling system enough to pressureize the system to the point of mechanical failures in heater core tanks, you would have coolant spewing out the overflow bottle and all kinds of other maladies to go along with it and if you put in a new core, next round would find the path of least resistance, which would not be your new heater core , it would be your old radiator tanks, but for some reason you keep popping heater cores.
What kind of antifreeze have you been running...Dexcool by any chance?
I'm thinking either that or you have a blockage in the rad causing pressure buildup throughout the rest of the system

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Funny thing I have problems with the top radiator tank seeping on 2 radiators in a row.Fortunately they were lifetime Modine.the second one is seeping now. I use Fleetgaurd elc - wonder if that could be affecting it in any way. I want to go to evans. Any input is welcome.
Criticism can be a good tool for understanding.

Evans is great stuff, it'll make you poor going in, but it'll keep you out of the poorhouse when it saves your engine ;Sweet

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Well -one thing I am sure of is it will be in my Kubota deisel soon.I have to pull the radiator,solder one side strao ,install new hoses & put my new faan blade on it.Hey!!! A point of interest a new fan for my 27 HP kubota $13.00 from a dealer! Hows that?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens if you run it up to temp with NO radiator cap? If you still have presurized hoses and what not at that point, you have a definite obstruction that needs to be dealt with.

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about a thermostat being sticky? even brand new ones sometimes fail....i had this exact same prob on a gasser and it took me 3 weeks before someone recomended a T stat check. BINGO checked the stat by putting in boiling water did not open fully replaced said stat over pressure prob solved.

Just an idea.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well before the head gasket change i was running a napa thermostat and thats when i went through 5 heater cores. i knew the head gaskets needed to be changed so i thought that was a factor in the overpressurizing of the cores. while the engine was apart i went ahead and changed the water pump and the thermostat so i could rule that out of the equasion. its kind of hard to believe that the radiator could be blocked because its only 1 1/2 old and is just as clean as it could be around the top tubes but hey anything is possible. and no its not dex-cool thats in the radiator its fleetgaurd antifreeze.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have no knowledge of ovepressurinzing the cooling system but I had one of those reman Modine tanks crack at the top solder less than a year after being put into service. The heater cores blowing up could be from too much pressure or from bad water being in the water part of the antifreeze mix, or it could be from too much ungrounded static electricity hanging around the truck from ungrounded or poorly grounded accessories. The fleetguard coolant is obviously diesel rated conventional pre charged with SCA or it is the Diesel rated ELC correct? High silicate antifreeze often times does not play nice with SCAs. Best of luck figuring this stuff out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger