Help with ZF5 clutch kit

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our 2nd to last phone conversation regaurding this issue, he was going to tear down the tranny on the floor, and then put it back together piece by piece in the truck. Essentially, I reached through the phone and popped him up side the head for even thinking that. If he wasn't able to do a simple clutch kit install, how in the hell did he think he was going to be able to essentially rebuild the entire tranny while it was STILL IN THE TRUCK! Reminded me of the joke about the OBGYN who retired and wanted to be an engine mechanic, and got 150% on his final exam. 50% for finishing the rebuild on time, 50% for the engine running like it's supposed to, and an extra 50% for doing it all through the tail pipe. At that point I told him A) he was NOT to tear the tranny appart, and B) he was to contact a towing company and have the truck transported to an actual transmission shop that had the tools to do the job right. He didn't want to caugh up the money for the tow bill, nor loose my payment for the job. I told him, he was going to be money ahead because it was going to be cheaper to pay the tow bill and send my check to another shop than to loose another 3 or 4 days worth of work while he continued working on my truck. That's when the light finally turned on for him. 15 min later I got the last phone call saying that his dad and another guy had finally gotten everything to line up and go into position while I had been on the phone with him.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have told the guy to register at OB and ask for advice... I've had trannys be an absolute bear to line up, fight it for an hour, walk away for a while then it falls right in. Working on the ground makes it that much harder.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also have a Luk smf conversion kit. I first had it in my 1985 F250 and now it's in my 1986 Bronco IDI conversion after wrecking the F250. I've had no trouble with operation or installation. It doesn't make any unusual noises either. Not that it makes any differencr, but for the record, the pilot bearing goes into the flywheel not in the crank. I've had manual trannies go all but the last inch no matter what. As a last resort, a couple of times I've got inside and slowly, gently pressed the clutch pedal down and had everything loosen up and go in just fine. Sometimes things just aren't lined up right. Once I completely gave up on an engine install with a manual trans just to have someone else come over and practically use magic to slid it in in less than two minutes. Stupid 6.2's & 6.5's! I'll stick with Fords.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes