Help with power stearing leak

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I replaced the gear box on my power stearing a few weeks ago. The box was leaking pretty bad. I noticed last week that I'm leaking again. I had just gotten used to NOT having to top off my fluid every week. I assumed (or maybe hoped) that it was just an oil line that I didn't get tight enough. Wrong. It's leaking up on the power stearing pump now. Not the pump itself, but on one of the oil line fittings. I was changing the water pump this weekend, so I took a few minutes to look it over. There's a metal fitting that one of the oil lines goes to. I can wiggle the oil line pretty easy, but when I put a wrench on the fittings trying to tighten them, I can't budge them. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the high-pressure line, or the low pressure one on the box (sounds like the high-pressure). I can't remember which is which, but when a buddy of mine did my steering box for me, he suggested replacing the high pressure line too since everything is taken apart already. You might need that line too.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Theres an oring on the steel line that may have gone bad. Its like 25 bucks from napa for the new line. Also the line is compression so wiggleing is a bad sign. Mine had a leak in the pressure hose it turns out it was chafing on something and it spit. That could be your problem too

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
The pressure hose it a o-ring sealed swivel fitting. It is supposed to be able to move. The o-ring might be bad, or the line. There is also a o-ring on the metal fitting part that comes through the plastic reservoir.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726