Help with possible transmission issues

jfp3205

new ford 7.3 owner
Reaction score
Ok, Here is my problem. I had a local transmission shop rebuild my EOD transmission. Two weeks aga it stated to creep in drive and would stall in reverse. The shop replaced the valve body but then found metal so they rebuild the transmission again.
It seemed ok at first but before the transmission was replaced, the truck would sit still in gear until you gave it throttle and I assumed it was because the truck is so heavy.
Now after this rebuild, when you put the truck in gear, it takes off. The RPMs on the tach are between 500-750 so i do not think the truck is idled too high.
Can someone tell me what my problem might be so I can go back to the shop and not have them tell me that is normal. I do not like for the truck to take off like this so am I missing something?
Thanks

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds right to me jfp. id rather one do that than just still in gear. i believe it has to do with the line psi and your tc but not sure. its late and im tired.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please explain "takes off". my truck will begin creeping forward once put in drive, if I don't apply the brake. Is this what you mean? before when is sat till you throttled it, it could been low pressure from the pump.

I am going to guess that during the first rebuild some of the plastic or copper bushings/washers were not installed so it had metal to metal contact inside (whence metal flakes) possibly along with low fluid pressure which is common in e4od tranny's without paying for an "improved" pump. Now I also wonder about the quality of the torque converter that was installed? bet they reused it the 2nd time... hope it not loaded with crap.
I have rebuilt a few e4od's. my $.02
Hope more guys that have done e4od rebuilds chime in to help.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ok, Here is my problem. I had a local transmission shop rebuild my EOD transmission. Two weeks aga it stated to creep in drive and would stall in reverse. The shop replaced the valve body but then found metal so they rebuild the transmission again.
It seemed ok at first but before the transmission was replaced, the truck would sit still in gear until you gave it throttle and I assumed it was because the truck is so heavy.
Now after this rebuild, when you put the truck in gear, it takes off. The RPMs on the tach are between 500-750 so i do not think the truck is idled too high.
Can someone tell me what my problem might be so I can go back to the shop and not have them tell me that is normal. I do not like for the truck to take off like this so am I missing something?

Thanks

It's normal.

When you place the vehicle in (D) it shpuld move forward. Unless you apply the brakes.

Before you had it rebuilt. The converter was on its last leg.

Stalling in reverse and giving it more throttle are signs of a tired converter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger