HELP! Stranded! Truck stalled and wont start now!

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh I can't believe my horrible luck with this truck right now :(

I'm 200+ miles away from home and visiting my folks. I drove to a friends house, but as soon as i pulled into the parking spot, the truck stalled and will NOT start again. Return lines are replaced and leak free. Glow plugs function as well. No visible leaks of diesel from the tank lines or lift pump either.

I have PLENTY of fuel in the rear tank (which it was running on)
I did notice that while I was taking a look that my fuel crossover valve doesnt appear to be working \. I switch from F to R and the fuel gauge doesnt move at all, I also had a friend flip the switch while i put an ear next to the valve to check to see if I could hear it, and i didn't hear it switch over.
Both tank gauges worked previously, and I would also hear a 'click' when I switched the tank valve selector a week or two ago..

Could a failed one of these selector valves cause a stall and no-start situation?
I had the truck towed back to my folks house in hopes of me finding a fix tomorrow :(
I tried to search but couldnt really find any similar problems with this selector valve causing a no-start operation.
Any help is appreciated! I need to get back on the road sometime tomorrow!

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you cracked the injector lines to see if you have fuel at them. Also check the fuel filter for fuel.

It is possible for the sender to quit like that. Mine dis and melted ob the inside. I opened it up and ziptied the bales inside to run off of the front tank.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuck in South florida at the moment..

Ill try cracking the injector lines tomorrow, as for fuel in the filter, can i crack the shrader valve and see if fuel comes out that way?

What about this selector valve? could it be the source of my no-start? It's definetely not switching over when I toggle the switch.
When I crank the truck I smell unburnt fuel (at least I think I do)

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coral Springs/Pompano Area.
Im gonna try and source a new selector valve tomorrow.. I just wanted some feedback on what other things I should check for..

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
pm me. I'm 10 min from coral springs. Have a ac delco FTSV in my toolbox. if the selector valve isn't switching, it should be stuck on one tank. Do you have fuel in both tanks?

edit: nm i see you said u have plenty of fuel. press the schrader in while you crank and see if you have fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When these trucks just stop, it usually is the fuel supply being interrupted. Do you get an audible "click" when you apply and remove the hot wire from the fuel shutoff solenoid? Usually the selector valve would stick on one or the other tanks, not in an intermediate position where it gets no fuel. Sometimes the IP just shears a shaft and your stuck with no options right where you sit. I wouldn't assume that unless you ruled out other things first but you should at least consider the possibility.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sent you a PM
Is it possible for the valve to get stuck in a halfway position when it fails?
MY front tank is LOW but not empty.

I'll try cracking the shrader valve tomorrow morning.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When these trucks just stop, it usually is the fuel supply being interrupted. Do you get an audible "click" when you apply and remove the hot wire from the fuel shutoff solenoid? Usually the selector valve would stick on one or the other tanks, not in an intermediate position where it gets no fuel. Sometimes the IP just shears a shaft and your stuck with no options right where you sit. I wouldn't assume that unless you ruled out other things first but you should at least consider the possibility.

This may be a dumb question but, Which wire is teh fuel shutoff solenoid? is it the large red wire on the IP?

As for shearing the shaft on the IP.. what could be the symptoms of this? Would this just happen out of the blue?
The truck has run very well, and didnt give any hard starting or crap like that

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen to me when i went to fuel up for the first time after ownership.
yes.the FSV can fail shut.
i ubloted the valve from the frame rail and unhooked the lines,and tried blowing through it,and sure enough it was shut up.
the other valves where open,there was enough room in the lines so i could trade the lines and off she went.:)

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen to me when i went to fuel up for the first time after ownership.
yes.the FSV can fail shut.
i ubloted the valve from the frame rail and unhooked the lines,and tried blowing through it,and sure enough it was shut up.
the other valves where open,there was enough room in the lines so i could trade the lines and off she went.:)

Could you go in a bit more detail? What do you mean by trading the lines?
I would like to run off the front tank since the rear tank's pickup has broken off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its probably the tank changeover valve. If it sticks in the half way position the return line flow stops and that will kill the motor. If you bypass the valve just make sure you use either the front or rear tank. You need to know the suction is on the front and the return is on the front... You can't draw from the back and return to the front... You will run out of fuel real quickly... Its not hard to trace the supply or return lines from the switch to the tanks. Just use some 5/16 fuel hose for the return and 3/8 for the supply. Bypass around the switch and your on the road again...

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This sounds similiar to my situation....only mine was at -30F.....

What happened to mine (twice) was that pieces of the pickup tube got into the Fuel Tank Selector Valve (FTSV) and caused a variety of issues with fuel...similiar to what you mention.

Just something to think about. I would try to isolate the issue as the guys above are helping you with. If you eliminate the FTSV from the equation and it runs....then I would check for crude in your tanks...

Thad

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
WHAT IS WITH ALL THE TRUCKS JUST UP AND QUITTING ALL OF A SUDDEN?! GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY?!?!

With that out of my system, I would agree that it doesn't seem fuel related...there was no surging or signs that it was gonna run outta fuel.

Cracking the injection lines will rule out a sheared off IP shaft and FSS..so check that out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online