Help Removing glow plugs

MandolinMan

Reaction score
This is my first time changing out glow plugs and having read about the danger of swollen plug tips falling into the cylinder, I'm trying to take my time and work carefully. I tried to remove the first two, and though they backed out easy, they would just spin in place when I reached the end of the threads. I was wondering if there was a trick to removing these? Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Use some penatratin oil such as Aerokroil or PB Blaster on the loose plugs. Let is soak down till the carbon on the tips is softened. Hopefully thats all thats keeping the pulgs from coming out. Tools are available to lift by prying them out but thats a chance you take about them breaking off the tips too.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read this article a while back, it was a link on TDS I think. I thought it sounded like a great idea all of the stuff zigg advised, I was planning on following this article when I pulled my glow plugs for inspection next summer.

http://members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Glow plug removal article.html

Somebody else will come along to correct anything that is wrong in there I'm sure. Welcome to the site! For the future, put your truck's information in your signature, it helps other members when you have a problem, that way they have info about your truck.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I had to make a "tool" to help gently pull the old plugs out when I did mine. It was an idea suggested by another member, and I apologize in advance for not remembering who. Take a plug to the hardware store and find a regular, cheap nut that fits the threads. Clamp nut in vice and proceed to hacksaw it in half. Now you have a two-piece Glow Plug Removal Tool that can be vice-gripped onto the exposed threads of any stuck plugs and will give you leverage to very slowly unscrew it the rest of the way. This method is not fool-proof, but it enabled me to remove the set of 5 Autolites, 2 Berus and a Champion that some wonderful previous owner had blessed me with, without braking a single one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners, you'll find lots of info here especially if you use search before you post. This topic has been thoroughly covered and if you dig a little there is countless info on what to do.

Also check out the FAQ the Tech and Hall of Shame for important information about these trucks and such.

As mentioned please, fill in yer signature as it helps immensely!

Just a small suggestion only use BERU GP's when you get the old ones out, otherwise more swelling may occur!

I'd suggest undoing them lift a bit and soak em down but good with PB or other good penetrating oil.

Also the tips won't fall into the cylinder right away, they actually break off in the precup which may buy you time to pull heads and such if that was to occur.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing the seriousness of this issue makes me not want to remove my glow plugs unless I really have to. I planned to take them out to test them but am thinking otherwise now. How can you test them while they are in?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine recently, I had to move the fuel return lines ever so slightly to get the socket and extension on the glow plugs. Well, ever so slightly was all it took to make them leak. When I fired the pickup up the first time with the new plugs, it sputtered and died. It would restart, but when I took it for a drive, it left fuel pooled on the intake below the injectors. I put on a kit from Conestoga Diesel and all is good.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a fairly new IDI owner and went through the same concerns, worry, anxiety about 3 months ago when I got my truck. After reading and fretting and getting over concerned, had a member here finally say "just do it". Ended up not being much of an issue at all. I tested all mine with the Ohm meter and found I still had 3 that were good. I soaked them all for a day or so with PB, then started with the good ones so I would get a feel for the process, sprayed PB on the threads as I went, turned them in and out if there was any sign of hangups. I used a 6 point 1/4 inch drive set to get them all out. All of mine had what looked like "slag" adhered to the sides and a couple were a little shorter than others due to burnt tips. The slag made turning out more difficult but the PB or WD will help with that. You may also want to go to a manual button to control the GP's in the future. I fought doing that since I wanted it to be "stock and automatic" - however - I made the change - clearly the ability to have complete control with a button is the way to go IMO. Just Do IT ! ! !

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any of yall tried this tool for stuck gp's, looks pretty simple, if mine end up stuck I'll try it lol. ...... OTC 6005A Glow Plug Remover Tool Set

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have any of yall tried this tool for stuck gp's, looks pretty simple, if mine end up stuck I'll try it lol. ...... OTC 6005A Glow Plug Remover Tool Set
That removal tool CAN'T guarantee a distorted, swollen or bent GP won't still become broken or stuck in it's hole.
HOWEVER, if it is just carbon built up on the lower tip, that tool with a lot of patients and some dissolving/penetration liquid may save the day.
When my GP's go bad the tips usually come out eroded and narrowed.
Back when I used Champion GP's(never any issues) I had one with a little carbon/crud squeaking all the way out but PB Blaster helped.
Once a Beru GP that actually was distorted/bent...that on had me sweating and scared!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled one of the GP's today in the 94 crippled hippo...OMG Autolites and they AIN"T lighting too well..I'll be swapping out my Beru plugs from the old engine.

I'll post pics IF I have issues!

JUST DO IT n GITTERDUN...is all I can say.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What causes them to swell? Mine just unscrewed like a spark plug and had no carbon on them.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All mine still work and I would have already bought new ones but cant buy any extra stuff till the gov't opens and we start getting paid again. They swell because they are made of poor quality components from what I've been told. These cheap gp's do the same thing in VW's, but for whatever reason they almost never break when you pull them. The first thing I would do when I got a new VW is change them out and put bosch dura-terms in them. A lot of times when your system over glows it will exacerbate the problem. If you have poorly timed injectors or a leaky injector they will burn the tips off in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online