Help me ID this turbo intake horn

Ocelotl

Reaction score
Found this intake/horn at a shop in town and it doesn't look like the Sidewinder setups I've seen. Just wondering what kind it might be. All they could tell me is the engine is from a fummins conversion done elsewhere.

You must be registered for see images

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy it... Looks like a international bus type intake pipe. I saw someone else post a pic close to it before...I haven't been able to find a part number for one though....

Ocelotl

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense seeing how it sticks out way up high.

No, I didn't buy it. I went to look at it because he said it was a '94 factory IDIT, but checking the serial it was a regular N/A. I already have a spare N/A engine and he didn't want to sell the turbo bits separate, so I let it be.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a "hershey kiss" intake horn from a ATS IC kit. no longer in production.

Attachments

• ats IC hershey.jpg
    ats IC hershey.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 28
  • ats IC layout.jpg
    ats IC layout.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well there ya go.. Thats a nice ATS intercooler setup too Calvin. How long ago was that pic taken. Bout 8 years back.. Any thoughts about how its mounted and how its running. I have never seen any used ATS intercoolers listed anywhere either. They must be keepers.

Ocelotl

Reaction score
that's a "hershey kiss" intake horn from a ATS IC kit. no longer in production.

Cool, thanks! Too bad he didn't want to part with only the turbo bits, looks like a nice part to have for if'n when an IC...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL
Sounds like what I told him. My offer was a little higher, but he wouldn't budge
what worries me is the oil seeping out of the flywheel bolts. this only occurs when you have overfilled the motor with oil or if the motor was left outside in the weather and the crankcase has filled with water raising the oil level to the point it's seeping out of the bolts.
don't' ask me how I know this "little" detail. just don't repeat my mistake.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
what worries me is the oil seeping out of the flywheel bolts. this only occurs when you have overfilled the motor with oil or if the motor was left outside in the weather and the crankcase has filled with water raising the oil level to the point it's seeping out of the bolts.
don't' ask me how I know this "little" detail. just don't repeat my mistake.

I was wondering the same thing bout the black oil seen at the crank bolts. So I looked closer. I see some of them that are parly removed. Plus there is some real black stuff in the back of the valley pan. Also the turbo looks like it was partly removed too. Clearly this engine is outside by the crap and leves around it. See the well rusted parts to the right of the engine. Just a few too many questions that have no answers to for this to be a no brainer. It would be nice to know more about it...

Ocelotl

Reaction score
Good to know about the oil through the flywheel bolts. I was thinking main seal, that shows ya what I know :rolleyes: I guess if the level came up due to oil overfilling it creates the leak and the risk of a runaway? Would overfilling hurts much otherwise? What about if it's water while it's been sitting there, what would that hurt? Oh well, as it's been said, too many questions on this one.

It's stored outside under one of those portable metal storage buildings, with a ton of other crap sitting on top of it. I guess it could have been rained on at some point or got wet from someone cleaning stuff with a hose back there or whatever, but the top openings were sealed off with tape. The exhaust manis were open, and I always think "perfect for a mud dauber". I asked the minion sent to clear stuff off it for me so I could look at it how long it's been sitting there and he just went "Oh, man, it's been here a long time." He was happy when I told him he didn't have to physically move it out of there, that I just wanted to look at the numbers on the block.

The guy in charge of the shop said they got two engines from another shop that does Cummins conversions-- I guess to sell to his customers as drop-in replacements at some point? He said this particular engine had 140K when removed. No way to know for sure, I thought. The other engine was sold off some time ago and I can assume that buyer took the better one. He was also sure that it was a factory turbo engine, which tells me he doesn't know much about these. One look alone tells us that's not the factory turbo. Checking the block numbers confirmed it.