Help me get my 7.3 to run

BigRed02

Resident Jackwagon
Reaction score
I bought a 89 7.3 idi with 46k miles off of my old science teacher that somebody decided to go Edward siccor hands on and hack all the under dash wires to pieces. I thought it was a bomb deal for only $400 bucks but I don't know how I am going to get it running.

The plans for the truck are either going to be drag truck or mud truck (I realize it's 2wd but if I go that route it will get a divorced np205 and rockwells) so it's going to be gutted either way and doesn't have to be street legal. What are all the wires that have to be ran to get it to run? I need help bad

Planned engine mods are:

RD4-150cc pump

Injectors, which ones?

Arp studs

Ht60 single (74mm)? I already have it

Runner intake

Hoodstack

R&D cam

Hypermax pistons (lower compression)

Intercooler out of my nissan 240sx
Core Size: 23.5"x11.5"x2.75"
Overall Size: 30.75"x11.75"x3"

Girdle

Tranny:

Stock with manual valvebody and dual disc converter

Transbrake (if it goes drag truck route)

Lots more I'm new to the idi stuff but want to learn as much as I can and join the community, please help me out guys I really appreciate any advice you guys have

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
There are many here with more experience than I have, and some will likely chime in.
That being said, you could run circuit, with a and a kill switch, from the fuse block to the FSS (fuel shutoff solenoid) on top of the injection pump. Then a start button.
That should get her to light.
There's a helpful "tech article" in the subforum titled "Radio & other wire colors", or some such.
Good luck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you really wont be needing the under dash wiring harness from the "work" the truck is going to do. So to get the engine to fire off just run a jumper wire from the positive of any battery directly to the large spade connector on top of the injection pump. That the connector closest to the radiator. you will hear a click sound telling you thats the correct lug. Then jump the fender mounted solenoid and the engine will crank and fire if it has fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online