Help a brother out, many questions inside.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I joined the forum back when I bought my truck months ago but never needed to make a post till now, I've got quite a few questions so if anybody could give a helping hand or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I drive a 1992 Ford F250(see my sig) it's my first truck. I've always been a diesel head I wanted a first gen cummins but I just got too sweet of a deal on my ford, and I've fallen in love since. I'll attach some pictures too the end of the post.
Now lets get down to business.

First off, I could use some help replacing my Fuel tank selector switch on the dash. Since I bought the truck the switch has been pushed back into the depths of the dash and strolling through a junkyard today I picked up a new switch but I cant get the dash off. It seems like I have to remove the headlight switch to be able to pull the black trim the rest of the way off but I'm not sure how.

Second, I'm looking at replacing my front seats. The previous owner installed some aftermarket seats that have seen better days. Finding stock seats that are in good shape from my years (92-96) is pretty tough. Does anybody know if newer seats out of a ford full size will bolt into the mounts on my truck? of any other seats that will fit?

Third, I need to adjust the high idle on my truck, I saw a forum thread and I cant remember if it was here on Oilburners or elsewhere, if somebody could provide a link or do some quick instructions that would be great. I think I know where the plunger is on the side of my IP but I'm not positive.

Thanks for your help.

You must be registered for see images attach

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure bout the second two but for the dash if its only the head light switch if you turn it you will see slot on it just stick a flat headed screwdriver twards the front and pull back and it should pop out (u have the two screws out that are hidden behind the trim peices right

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure bout the second two but for the dash if its only the head light switch if you turn it you will see slot on it just stick a flat headed screwdriver twards the front and pull back and it should pop out (u have the two screws out that are hidden behind the trim peices right

Yup, I found the screws behind the trim the only other thing holding it on is the headlight switch, thanks!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I can help with one or two of those questions.

The headlight switch isn't too bad to get off. Turn the headlights on by pulling the know all the way out. turn it around until you see the notch cut into the shaft of the switch behind the knob. You will need to push a flat head screw driver in there to release the tang that holds it on the metal shaft. Push with the screw driver and pull on the knob...it will pop right off. Remember to push the metal shaft back in to turn the lights off when you remove the knob. To reinstall, just line up the shaft with the know (it has a triangle shape inside, you will see when it comes off) and push it back on all the way.

The high idle solenoid is on the side of the IP. It looks like a round cylinder with a small bolt threaded into it. The "bolt" will thread in and out of the plunger to legnthen or shorten it, depending on which way you turn it.

As far as the seats, I would imagine e series van seats, full size bronco seats, and any seats from a 1980 to 1996 truck should work, I could be wrong on that though.

I hope this helps you out, and by the way NICE looking truck!;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Oh man, looking at that truck is making me drool! BC trucks versus NS trucks of the same year.....HUGE difference....he still has all his sheet metal...I lose a little sheet metal everytime I hit a pothole due to rust!-cuss

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this helps you out, and by the way NICE looking truck!;Sweet

Yea, she gets the job done, it does have some rust and battle scars though. Contrary to my looks in the picture i actually use my truck the way it was designed not to wheel around town and look cool in(well i think we all do a little of that from time to time) Fixing the body is low on my totem pole of things too do, there are more important things to worry about on it. plus I like not having to watch my nice new paint when im driving through the bush while hunting.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, looking at that truck is making me drool! BC trucks versus NS trucks of the same year.....HUGE difference....he still has all his sheet metal...I lose a little sheet metal everytime I hit a pothole due to rust!-cuss

Well to be fair those pictures are from July. Right now it has a layer of mud almost a half inch in places along the bottom of the body. but the whole thing has a layer of dust/mud. I stopped worrying about washing it when my driveway became a 14km dirt road.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
LOL...I have to watch the low hanging branches....god knows what they will knock off my truck!

I have a blue 1993 that is pretty much identical to yours. My fuel tank switch is also screwy...the PO duct taped it on place. I think I still have the old one in my previous truck, but it's at the junkyard...well, what's left of it is at the junkyard.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love those branches sticking out on the sides of trails just waiting to leave a nice mark down the whole side of your truck, unfortunately I have a few of those.
Tomorrow I'm going to buy some lights to mount under my bumper as auxiliary reverse lights, I'm thinking about putting the switch for those lights where the tank switch is because its right next to the headlight switch and relocating the fuel tank switch somewhere, but I'm not sure where yet.

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lite switch knob removal

Most Ford lite switch knobs can only be removed by pressing a spring type button on the switch. Disconnect the batteries first. Replacing the knob is just a push into the switch.
Frank

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I did the reverse light mod to my silverado .....I had the lights wired to come on all the time, but were relayed in so it didn't draw a ton of power from the back up light wire to the back of the truck.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automotive wiring really scares me. I know that just going straight from the battery too the switch too the lights isnt a good idea, so what exactly does the relay do?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay isolates the high current load (your lights), from the switch in the cab. The only thing your switch does is carry about a half an amp and battery voltage. Saves your swtiches from burning up

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, alright so what kind of relay should I get( is there more than one kind?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin