Help 85 F250 6.9 wont start

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like air intrusion to me. Fuel leaks down after it has sat for a bit. Twist off the fuel filter and see if it is full or not. You should hear a little "psst" sound of the vacuum release and filter should be to the brim with diesel.

Oops, I may have misread... Did you say it won't start when warm, but fires up right away in the morning?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke out the tail pipe when cranking and no start. When engine is cold. As in waiting till next day to start. It will fire right up after turning over two or three times. Once it has been run and at operating temp. If you shut it off and then restart it right a way starts fine. let it sit for 5 min or longer and it will just crank and crank.

I'm confused by the punctuation in this statement...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
White smoke out the tail pipe when cranking and no start. When engine is cold, (As in waiting till next day to start) It will fire right up after turning over two or three times.
Once it has been run and at operating temp, If you shut it off and then restart it right a way starts fine.
let it sit for 5 min or longer and it will just crank and crank.
Better?
I'm still betting heat soak.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When engine is at operating temp. White smoke out the tail pipe when cranking and no start.
When engine is cold. As in waiting till next day to start. It will fire right up after turning over two or three times.
Once it has been run and at operating temp. If you shut it off and then restart it right a way starts fine. let it sit for 5 min or longer and it will just crank and crank.
I already contacted RockAuto and they are sending out a new IP. Lets see if it solves the problem.

I checked power at the IP and its good.
I am also going with the heat soak problem. I already have a different IP coming. I will see if it help with the new one coming. IP that is.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new IP came yesterday. I had time today to work on the truck. Got in there and replaced the other new IP. This new IP took care of the starting issue when at operating temp. I've got changing the IP's out down to a science now :thumbsup: Took me only 1 1/2 hour to get the job done and the truck fired up. I will be timing it tomorrow with my neighbors Kent Moore J33300.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Good deal. Now start saving for a moose pump.
It's not if it happens again, it's when. And it will.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Now start saving for a moose pump.
It's not if it happens again, it's when. And it will.

If it was my truck I would have done that. This is my dads truck. When I first bought my truck. The 1991 f350 I did not know about Mel. But when the time comes I will be getting one of the moose pumps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad Rock Auto took care of you though. Cheap pumps aside, good customer service is key.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The new IP came yesterday. I had time today to work on the truck. Got in there and replaced the other new IP. This new IP took care of the starting issue when at operating temp. I've got changing the IP's out down to a science now :thumbsup: Took me only 1 1/2 hour to get the job done and the truck fired up. I will be timing it tomorrow with my neighbors Kent Moore J33300.

When you attempt timing the engine with the J33300 and have some questions pm me and I may be able to help you understand whats going on. We do have others here that can help when using the kent moore meters. They really are a built proof meter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.