Help 85 F250 6.9 wont start

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad showed up to the house with some bunk beads for my daughters. After we unloaded them his truck would not start. We replaced the IP, Lift pump, glow plugs, and injectors 2 months ago. Have not had a problem till today. Rechecked all fuel fittings and I cant find a reason for it not to start. Also we installed 2 new batteries and a new starter at the. same time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wont turn over, wont fire? help us help you out!
fuel at the schrader valve?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys. Yes fuel at the Schrader and at the injectors. Also Cranks over nice and fast. I think its the IP. He got it from Rockauto. IP2 is the part number. So I called them up and they sent another one out.

I got the truck to start by using a bit of non chlorinated brake cleaner. I know I know very bad. But it was all I had available to use. I disconnected the glow plug relay. And while he was turning the engine over I gave it a very very small squirt of the brake cleaner. not even a 1/2 second spray. And varooooom the engine roared to life.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you shut it down and try to restart?
could be a weak lift pump too

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes when I shut it down it would fire right back up. But I let it sit for 30 min after I had tried the brake cleaner. It would start with out using it again but would take a good 30 sec of cranking. I tested the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve and it was at 6 psi.

What would putting cool water on the IP do??

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's worn out, it'll have "heat soak" problems.
Search it here, and you'll find a better explanation.
But basically most cheap rebuilds don't replace the important parts.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it does crank (when its not starting), is there any smoke out the tail pipe? If so, what colour?

How does it behave when cold? Does it start fine or need the starting aid?

Now once it is running, does it stay running? Do you need to keep your foot on the pedal to keep it running?

Once it is warm, will it start up right away again?

Does it only have the no/hard start when warm? (Thats the heat soak thing Jasper mentioned).

Heat soaking (very loosely defined) the pump is overheating which is causing material expansion that changing tolerences in the pump to the point where it no longer functions properly. Cooling it off will reverse the situation and get you hopefully home. It basically means the pump is about to fail.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke out the tail pipe when cranking and no start. When engine is cold. As in waiting till next day to start. It will fire right up after turning over two or three times. Once it has been run and at operating temp. If you shut it off and then restart it right a way starts fine. let it sit for 5 min or longer and it will just crank and crank. I already contacted RockAuto and they are sending out a new IP. Lets see if it solves the problem.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you are getting white smoke out the tail pipe during cranking you do not have a working glow plug system.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested all the glow plugs individually. They all tested good. Also tested the connectors of each of the glow plugs and the connectors were putting out 9.5 volts. Im not sure if it needs to be 12 volts or 6 volts at the connectors for the glow plugs.

The white smoke is only after the engine is up to operating temp. And crank and crank with a no start. There is no smoke first thing in the morning. Turns over 2 or 3 times then fires right up.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why does this seem like an electrical problem to me?

middaymidnight

Reaction score
^same. Seems like an electrical problem. Check your grounds and terminals make sure they are good and tight.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the next time it wont start, i would try putting a jumper wire to the IP and starting it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online