Help #2

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need some help guys. I put new beru glow plugs in and replaced the relay on the glow plug controller. I even put a new 4ga power wire to it. It still doesnt click or do anything. I am ready to pull my hair out. my truck has been broke down for two weeks and I am tired of walking to work. I worked from midnight to 4am on it. what else can it be? Ive tried everything I can think of. :dunno

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I wired it back up the way it originally was. An update though it is uncomonally warm today about 60 degrees and the truck fired up perfect with no plugs and ran perfect. This has to be q glow plug issue now that I've fixed all the air intrusion. Ill recheck the wiring....

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Can you unplug all the wires leading to the glow plugs and hook a test light to the positive side of your battery and touch the tips of each glow plug, making sure the light illuminates just to make sure you have good working plugs.

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I tested all the glowplugs and they are all good. I have power to the glow plug relay but when I touch my test light to the glow plug stud on the controller it shows no power.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help. Clicky to enlarge pic. Clicky again for bigger pic.

Attachments

• 7_3%20glowplug%20controller%20&%20relay.JPG
    7_3%20glowplug%20controller%20&%20relay.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 33

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its wired correctly. But I have no power to the glow plug stud. I have no clicking indicating its working. I wondering if the new relay is a non clicking type? I'm at a loss.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
When you turn on your key and wait for the WTS to go out do you see any change in voltage.

I am having the exact problems! Mine does click when I turn on the key but dont see any change in voltage once the light goes off.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its a relay, so one small terminal must be grounded, while the other gets power, for voltage to flow from the battery side, to the glow plug side.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Justin, you say the relay is bad? Can I starter relay/solenoid work for the glow plug relay?

I also noticed sometimes when I try to crank the truck over it wouldnt do anything Id have to try a few times for it to crank. Could it be a possible bad starter solenoid were having problems with?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin, you say the relay is bad? Can I starter relay/solenoid work for the glow plug relay?

I also noticed sometimes when I try to crank the truck over it wouldnt do anything Id have to try a few times for it to crank. Could it be a possible bad starter solenoid were having problems with?

Oh no, I'm saying the wiring going to the relay might be bad.

See, inside a relay there is an electromagnet, on a spring. You have two small terminals, one is a ground, one is a power. When both are applied as such, the electromagnet energizes, and then closes the circuit (electromagnet is attracted to some steel in the bottom, when you hear the click, thats the electromagnet hitting it, and closing the circuit), when that happens, current flows through the relay. When either the power, or the ground is interupted, the electromagnet de-energizes. And since it sits on a spring, it gets sprung up, and the circuit is open.

Thats relays in a brief, kinda neat if you think about it.

So it could be a bad relay, or the wiring for the small terminals might be bad somehow.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A relay is a relay, so in theory yes. What that doesnt take into account is how they mount, might not mount the same and fit the same as the stocker. Dont know the amp ratings on the glow plug relay and the starter relay either, might be different.

I put a Stancor relay in the black truck. Rated for 200amps contiunous, and 600amps peak (can you say, overbuilt ;Sweet). But it was spendy (well I didnt actually buy it but I help put it in!)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STOP!

Don't make changes until you know they are necessary!

Do some tests on the glow plug relay. Disconnect ALL small wires from the glow plug relay. Do the following....the ignition key should be OFF.

First test - Using a test light, verify you have battery voltage at the large lug NOT attached to the Z strip.

Second test - Verify that a test lamp will light when one side is connected to the large lug with battery voltage, and the other end is connected to the lug with the Z strip. Leave this light connected, and illuminated. (note... this light is being grounded through the glow plugs, so they all must be connected. Do not use a headlight or other light which draws a lot of current). If the light does not light, then your glow plugs are not connected or there is a break in the wire.

Third test - Connect one of the small terminals on the relay to a good engine ground, and then using a short piece of wire, connect the other free terminal to the large lug with battery voltage on it. You SHOULD hear the relay clunk, and the test light should go OUT. If this does not happen, then your relay is bad.

If the light stays lit, but is dim, your relay is still bad. It should go out completely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online