Hello I am new here, looking at buying a IDI 7.3

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I am buying a truck but the more I learn the more I like old trucks, nice to meet you all and thanks for helping rookies like me out. Moretorque

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the best IDI forum on the web. I have had mine for about 5 yrs. Needed some love, but us older things usually do. :sly

If your looking, just be sure to budget for some repairs. You never know what might pop up. The IDI is a great motor. Not the most powerful, but it will get you there and back as reliably as anything newer for less out of pocket, and less to upkeep.

Check out the Hall of Shame, FAQ, and a few other posts for things to do. We are very peaceable and helpful. When you get your truck, post the details on your signature so that we all can work things out easier.

I saw your post about the truck you are looking at. No opinion from me, just looking forward to another IDI Oil Burner on board.

Leftyizme

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined here today. I purchased my first diesel truck this past spring, a 1994 F-350 XLT Crew Cab Dually w/ 7.3L IDI Turbo and E40D
My truck is a one owner, with 205k miles, and is mostly still stock. The prior owner replaced the horribly restrictive turbo downpipe with a much more free flowing Summit Racing pipe. He also installed a 4" Flowmaster exhaust kit (single pipe setup). The only things that I have done were mostly to fine tune the engine. I adjusted the pump timing to 8deg adv., turned up the I.P. pump 1 flat, and adjusted the turbo screw to give just a tiny hint of smoke from idle thru 1,400 I also adjusted the throttle position sensor to 4v WOT which really helped the shifting of the E40D under load.
I swapped an '87 Georgie Boy Cruise Air II even for it. I only had a little under $2,500 in the RV, so I feel I came out the winner in the deal.
Although my truck is dead straight, without even one door ding, the original paint was badly oxidized and faded, the interior is in really good shape, but was filthy. It took me 4 days to get the truck cleaned up like in the lower picture below.

Before Cleaning:
You must be registered for see images attach

After 4 days of Cleaning/Polishing:
You must be registered for see images attach

Leftyizme

Reaction score
Try direct link instead..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/s2010090k.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/s2010187.jpg/

ps: you can scroll thru the pictures I have uploaded to Imageshack by choosing prior/next image button on right of page. I have a ton of pics from before/during/ and after cleaning. Plus pics of the '88 Georgie Boy I bought for $1,800 and traded even for the truck (I spent about $600 on fixing things on the Georgie Boy, for a grand total of $2,500).
I also replaced the headliner since these were taken.

Last edited: