Hello all, couple questions.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Hello,
i have a 1980 Terra Scout II that had a 3.3L nissan diesel in it, it blew, i got a '86 6.9L diesel out of a f-250 for it. it's currently at the machine shop and so far i have about $6000 tied up into it. it's getting the heads studded, all new injectors,inj. pump, lines, a melling towing cam, bored 20 over, and i converted the glow plug system to a International 7.3 design/plug setup. i also have a 6-71 Blower for it, the old 3.3 was turbo charged and there was lots of turbo lag. i'd like to have the Blower on it for instant throttle response, and lots of power when i take it to the local truck pulls to clean house... :thumbsup: i don't want 70 psi, i'd be happy pushing 5-7, mabe 10psi on a good day.

i READ AND READ AND READ, i see a few bites, some "mabe's" and some nope won't work. is this pheasable or just some silly dream? can i find an intake manifold? any suggestions greatly appreciated!

-Jon :peelout

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion

Ditch the Jimmy blower (would look cool) go back to turbo and set it up right and lag will be a thing of the past.

Run a Banks, ATS or Hypermax wastegated and intercooled turbo kit. Open up the exhaust - 4" straight through type exhaust will do it and open up the intake with a Tymar setup. The turbo will spool quickly;Sweet

IMHO.....The N/A 6.9 would put the 3.3 Nissan to shame in it's stock form.

RedTruck

Reaction score
6.9Scout - Welcome aboard. About time we get a Scout convert in here!

I second what the Dr. says.

The Scouts I had both had auto tranny's. It was tough to get 2.5" dual exhaust between the frame and the tranny. If you're going to be running a manual tranny the 4" exhaust shouldn't be much of a problem.

I really think you're going to have an easy install. If you had a T-19 in it before I bet a 6.9 with a T-19 tranny will fit right in there with the same tranny mount. Of course I bet your 80 has the Dana 300. Will your 300 fit the Ford T-19? If so, I bet the driveshafts will line up as well.

Be sure to post back with your progress. It'll be fun to see it coming together.

Paul

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
671 Blower vs Turbo

I own 3 Detroit Diesels with Blowers, two of them have Blowers AND Turbo.
6V92.. Blower & Turbo .... Digital Computer Injection [like powersmoke]
6V92... Blower & Turbo... Mechanical Injection [like IDI 6.9]
8V71... Blower only... Mechanical Injection...

The combination of Blower and Turbo works pretty well across the range of power. The Blower comes on at low speeds because it is mechanical and tied directly to the crank, so as engine speed increases, air flow increases. The Turbo comes on much later because it depends on exhaust pressure to drive the spools [thus turbo lag] and is not directly tied to the engine. Rather it has a "pnumatic coupling" so it starts pumping air slowly and as exhaust pressure increases it's speed and "pump" pressure increases.

Efficency of the blower tapers off as engine speed increases.... while efficency of the turbo increases as engine speed increases, so the combination carrys each component through it's strong points.

The down side is, you now have two systems to maintain and two things to go "wrong". When one fails, it always eats the other one...$$$$ [ouch!]

This combination works on the Detroits, which are bigger engines [6=number of cylinders, V= configuration, 92= cubic inches displacement per cylinder]
How it would balance on a 6.9 is anyones guess. I'm sure there is an engineer somewhere who could do the math necessary to tell you it wouldn't work, or would.

If you are going for a balls to the wall engine, why not do both? Let us know how it works.;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
6.9Scout - Welcome aboard. About time we get a Scout convert in here!

I second what the Dr. says.

The Scouts I had both had auto tranny's. It was tough to get 2.5" dual exhaust between the frame and the tranny. If you're going to be running a manual tranny the 4" exhaust shouldn't be much of a problem.

I really think you're going to have an easy install. If you had a T-19 in it before I bet a 6.9 with a T-19 tranny will fit right in there with the same tranny mount. Of course I bet your 80 has the Dana 300. Will your 300 fit the Ford T-19? If so, I bet the driveshafts will line up as well.

Be sure to post back with your progress. It'll be fun to see it coming together.

Paul

i have the 6.9 bellhousing and a 5.5:1 t-19 Ferd tranny. ;p i was shooting for the 6.32:1 "Granny Lo" t-19, but hey i guess it's better then a 4:1. plus the trans has a 6 month warrenty. i'm using the IH t-19 guts to mate my D20 to the Ferd t-19, it had a 300 but when i bought the truck my friend wanted the 300.:dunno the crossmember will need some fudging but i'll make it work, silly ferds have the x-member on the t-case /2wd tail. scouts have em cast INTO the trans. :rolleyes:

i'm running either dual 2.5 or 3" into 4" Chrome stacks ;Sweet , i don't know which i want though. :dunno

we'll see what comes of it from here!
Thanks guys!
-Jon ;Sweet :D
(here's some shots of the scout)
http://rides.webshots.com/album/547824659ijVvlv (before paint when i got it)
http://rides.webshots.com/album/548731923KQLlLk (bodywork)
http://rides.webshots.com/album/549217892sURaWa (lift kitr and custom doors)
http://community.webshots.com/user/dieselscout (painted)
i'll post some 6.9 Swap photos when i'm less tired *Yawn*

P.S. i've been on NUMEROUS Ferd diesel sites and either they were loaded with so many restrictions hello was sensored from "hell" or there were 2 people on the whole sit and got zero response! i think this site will be great help when my 'Binder buddies can't figure out the Ferd problems cookoo .

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dang man, that is an awsome scout ;Sweet . Your doing it good by stuffing in an IDI, props to you.

On the exhaust, bigger is better. If you can fit 4" pipe up to your stacks do it, you wont complain.

The blower would be cool, but I doubt it will add all that much power. Just stick to a turbo, trust me with a properly sized wastegated turbo, there will hardly be any turbo lag.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've seen blower equipped IDI's on ebay, but never in person. The whole thing about a blower is that it takes horsepower to run it. A turbo produces free power, and in a competative sled pulling environment, you've got plenty of time to sit there and make some boost before you let go. The key to building up a 6.9 is getting rid of some compression so you can stuff more air in there. Maximum safe boost in stock form is generally considered to be 12 or 13. With studs you may be able to do a little better. I doubt that towing cam is going to do anything for you, but we don't have many folks here playing with cams. The next problem is getting rid of the heat. Keeping the EGT's down requires an intercooler, and if you want to be competative - water injection. Ceramic coated pistons are an available option. Glad to see another re-power'er here. I've got one of the few Bronco diesels around, which is something I've been trying to change. The IDI is a bolt in on any Ford truck of the same model years. Good luck! We're excited to have you here. ;Sweet

RedTruck

Reaction score
Wow. Sharp looking rig.

Is that a grill from a '79? You did a great job.

I had a 727 in the one's I had. So I don't have much experience with the crossmember part you're talking about. I put my engine and transmission in a '62 IH pickup. The crossmember didn't fit, but I just had to take the rivets out and slide it forward.

If you end up going with a turbo I think it may just work out to be a pretty nice install. You'll have to have a custom down pipe made, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks for posting your link,

Paul

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the '80 grill was composite plastic and square headlights, it was smashed and cracked all over...:puke:so i always liked the '79 style so i swapped the front metal and grille in.

i *saw* a 6.9 f-250 blown in an issue of 4 wheeler and it sparked my interest. i bought before i thought, found the blower on e-bay for $400 and jumped, i guess i can sell it if my plan falls through. :frustrate

i see WHOLE turbo kits on e-bay and banks etc. for like $1500 i figure just the turbo, exh. feed pipes and oil lines it shouldn't be more then $600....then i can get a cooler off ebay for a few bucks. i just want to mash the skinny pedal and either throw D44 pieces everywhere or bake some rubber. :peelout the only 2 diesel's i ever drove was my friends '04ish 6.0 powerstoke (auto) when he had it, plenty of pep, and the Nissan 3.3 in the scout, it took FOREVER to build any boost and had no power till it whistled. now i'm sure the 198CI-420CI jump will be enough to poop my pants, but if i'm going to do it i want oober amounts of power. yet i want it to be a 500,000 mile motor, i only want enough boost to add some power and milage. ;Sweet

i snooped around online and found the head gaskets leaked, and stock rocker bridges were weak, as i said i studded the heads and i also converted to 7.3 rockers. i was initially going with a 7.3 but read of cylinder cavitation probles, so opted for the 6.9 with thicker cyl. walls. ;Sweet

i'm building a D60 (narrowing and swapping on D44 ends and axles shafts to fit the 5 bolt pattern) for the rear. so when the D44 pukes i'll swap it in. i thinking 4.11's with detroits front and rear. cookoo i'm getting there slow.

here's ...some...pictures, motor's at the macine shop, bos is full of parts and there's another $900 of special order parts at the auto store.

oo anybody know where i can get injection lines for under $65 a piece?!! :mad: cookoo

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0031.JPG
    DSCF0031.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0044.JPG
    DSCF0044.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0046.JPG
    DSCF0046.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0052.JPG
    DSCF0052.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 5

ELIHMAN

Reaction score
transfer case

Why don't you use a divorced NP-205 out of a IH truck or travelall. Should handle the torque from the 6.9 okay. I own a 1980 Terra turbo diesel wide ratio 4 spd 4.09 axles. It was in Peterson's 4 wheel & Off Roads first readers rigs issue. I also own a 83 Ford F-250 6.9 4 spd 4wd pick-up. I enjoy both the the scout is really crude compairs to the Ford. Are you going with the hydraulic clutch setup?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just want to mash the skinny pedal and either throw D44 pieces everywhere or bake some rubber. :peelout the only 2 diesel's i ever drove was my friends '04ish 6.0 powerstoke (auto) when he had it, plenty of pep, and the Nissan 3.3 in the scout, it took FOREVER to build any boost and had no power till it whistled. now i'm sure the 198CI-420CI jump will be enough to poop my pants, but if i'm going to do it i want oober amounts of power. yet i want it to be a 500,000 mile motor, i only want enough boost to add some power and milage. ;Sweet

Scattering a D44 ain't hard but I don't know if you'll be roasting the tires with an IDI. Don't get me wrong as they are great engines with an excellent reputation and treated well can easily last 500,000 miles. You can get respectable power out of them but if you expect the same performance from the IDI as the Powerstroke is capable of you may be disappointed.

Although the 6.9 is the father of the Powerstroke there is nothing in common between them other than that they are both made by IH and used in Ford trucks.

I will say my 7.3 IDI was a lot cheaper to repair and got much better fuel economy than my 7.3 Powerstroke which is a crying shame with al that puter controlled cr#p on it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it looks like you're pulling out all the stops and building up your 6.9 to run strong. with the reduced weight of your scout vs. a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup you will likely have more power than you need (enough to break stuff). i'll be interested to see how you do at the pulls with the lighter vehicle. i'd guess you'll run out of traction before you run out of power. a 6.9 over the front axle will work in your favor here.

this is a reposted vid but i'll show you a 7.3 IDI turbo (comparable to a 6.9 turbo within 10% power wise easily) with propane injection vs a stock 7.3 intercooled PSD. from what i hear the 6.0 PSD you drove eats the 7.3 PSD for lunch stock for stock in the accelleration dept. but like i said in the smaller lighter scout you gain an advantage. plus the IDIs off-idle grunt advantage gets you out of the hole quicker vs turbo-dependent competitors. i have seen many an IDI turbo roast tires with the best of them.

i'm jealous of your toy

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RedTruck

Reaction score
I went the other way on the '79 I had. I ordered a new '80 grill from Anything Scout. Then they went out and found all the hardware on an older '80 for me. At the time I really liked it, but now I'd stick with the older metal ones.

What have you done with springs/lift?

I know a 345/392 weighs in a little higher than 800 lbs. The 200 lbs you're going to be adding to the front isn't going to bother the axle much.

Do you have a pyro from when you had the Nissan in it? If not, you'll probably want to get one with the tweaking you'll be doing with the 6.9.

As far as the turbo goes...if you're going to try and put one together from pieces do a search at www.thedieselstop.com and look for a post by a user named Woodie. He put a pre 99.5 PSD turbo on his rig and had pretty nice results.

If you start looking for an intercooler their is a thread here called "let's talk intercoolers". It has some pretty good information in it. I think it'll be tough for you to find an intercooler to fit nicely with your setup...ie I don't think you've got the room that we do with a pickup. When you start looking, it might be worth your while to check out a heavy truck junk yard. Alot of heavy trucks have an intercooler that sort of saddles over a radiator such that your inlet and outlet are just above your radiator. There is also a new fellow here in the GM 6.2 (or was that 6.5) section that did a custom air to water intercooler. He did a great job. You may want to get in touch with him and ask him some questions.

Have you already got a pump and injectors lined up for your rebuild? If not you may want to wait just a touch. There is a fellow here named Darin Tosh that is working his mo-jo on something new. There is also a fellow named Ken at www.dps-performance.com that has done some pretty wild stuff with a pump and injectors. It would be a good idea for you to post a new thread asking specific questions about a performance pump and injectors though.

Paul

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok.....thanks for the injector line site, i'll take a look, $280 is better then $580! :puke:

I REMEMBER THAT SCOUT!! sweet lookin rig! i have the 20, and i dont want ANYTHING below the frame, i think the 205 will be a tad HUGE. the 20 will be fine, there's a guy on the BB with a 6.9 bored to a 7.3 in a scout with the D20. and yep converting it to the fancy schmancy hydro setup ;Sweet .

the scout ain't no lightweight, fully boxed frame, HEAVY steel and iron parts where most (Ferd ans Chebby cookoo ) put thinner lighter parts.plus i had my buddy make me some SERIOUS smasher bumpers for it. thanks 69 ;Sweet .

it's got a 4" skyjacker lift and when i take it back to my girlfriends dad (he painted it ;Sweet ) he's going to paint me a set of hard doors and put a 2" body lift on it. :D i think i'll be adding a leaf on the front to level it out.
i'm getting a Isspro dual sender pyro on it, one for each bank. and i'll be putting on a Isspro Tachometer. i want this sucker's vitals checked completely, i skimped on the 3.3 and that may have been it's downfall.
for the turbo and intercooler that's for later, i want to get it together, run it and break it in really good before i get carried away.;p
i got a remaned i/p off ebay from Diesel Care and Performance for $275, i got all new injectors from A&A auto parts, i just need the lines, the old ones were braized and cracked!!! -cuss
i would like to get pretty wild with cranking it up later, i'm all about putting down the power and pouring smoke like a burning plastic factory. :thumbsup: LOL ;Sweet

-Jon

here's the "trucks" that went into making mine, MY orange one is the truck on the left (green) the red one was cut up and the best parts were put into mine. and a few other pics i have.

Attachments

• the diesels.JPG
    the diesels.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 5
  • half cab '80.JPG
    half cab '80.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 3
  • other side.JPG
    other side.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG