Hello All. Been a While. A/C Question.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for reasons related to the big "D" I haven't been on here for a while. Unfortunately I will be losing the IDI in the divorce. Not to worry I still have 2 6.9's I'm slowly assembling and will eventually find something to put one in.

On with my question. Last weekend I drove the IDI for a couple of days. The A/C is short cycling. Not getting very cold. I hooked the gauges up and noticed the low pressure getting extremely low. At the same time the high pressure was extremely high. My initial thought is plugged filter/drier or orifice valve. I installed a variable orifice valve in there about 4 years ago when I replaced the compressor, drier, etc.

Mainly looking for confirmation as to my diagnosis or something I may have overlooked. System was converted to 134a in 2007 and that compressor (rebuilt) only lasted a year. So the filter/drier was replaced both times (2007 and 2008) and the lines were fully flushed both times as well.

Thanks for the input.

Greg

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be the some of the crap finally worked it's way out of the condenser, if it didn't ruin the compressor, prolly a partially plugged orfice. Condenser should have been changed. Since it's pumping a hi pressure it might still be OK. That's my SWAG.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Define high and low pressure... ambient temperature is a good thing to list too

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low pressure falling 25psi when switch cuts out. High pressure rising 315psi when low pressure switch cuts out. Ambient temperature 85 degrees. I am inclined to think the compressor is good due to the pressures it can achieve. Also the charge isn't low. Just a blockage which is causing the high and low pressures to spike.