Heating WMO with an auto trans cooler

klunker

klunker
Reaction score
I have an automatic transmission cooler in the rad on my 1992f250hd idi. It has a 5spd and i don't use it. Could the fuel lines be run through this between the lift pump and filter to heat the oil to make it warmer and thinner.I've been running a 50/50 blend in my old belarus tractor for about a year successfully and am going to try it in my truck.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best guess is you wouldn't gain a lot of temperature from it, it's in the bottom of the radiator, the coldest part, and radiator temperature especially in the winter can be multitudes colder. I have actually had cars over heat in the wintertime because there was too little antifreeze in the system. The cooling system can be full, but have an incorrect ratio of glycol and the coolant will actually freeze up while driving down the road causing the car to overheat because it cold no longer draw in water to cool it. In the summer you would probably gain a considerable amount of heat from it, in the winter,,, probably not.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
klunker, i've been thinking of doing the same thing. I sure it would be better than not running thru the rad.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd just get a FPHE. You can probably get one and install it for under 120. I can't see why the trans cooler would hurt though.. may want to run something through it in case there's anything in there

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that bites.. I typed out another response last night explaining an experiment that I had done very recently only to discover it's not here. A few weeks ago the temps dropped very low for a few days so I jumped out of the truck one day after some highway driving and grabbed the bottom of the radiator. It was not cold, but not hot either. I could keep my hand on it, and If I had to make a wile guess, I would say it was 110 120 degrees.

My truck was born an automatic, but was converted to stick and so also has an unused cooler in the rad, I've been mulling over running engine oil through it after I decided not to run fuel through it.

klunker

klunker
Reaction score
Sound like it might not work then up here in the great white north. The fuel gums up the filter on my tractor when it gets 5-10 degrees below freezing,that has a cleanable fuel filter so i can take it apart. I might try wrapping a set of motorcycle grip heaters around the filter.They get hot enough that steam will come off of your hands in the rain.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do make 12v fuel filter heaters... kinda like the band type drum heaters.

Your best bet would be to run a flat plate heat exchanger... I got mine from dudadiesel a while back for under $40 but it seems their prices have gone up.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my .02, I wrapped my fuel filter with 3/8 copper line that was tapped into the heater hose system, didn't see any temp difference.
Also at that time I was using a automotive indoor/outdoor temp sensor, had the sensor on the fuel line next to the exit on the filter.
When I would shut the engine off and leave for 15 minutes temp was higher, after start up I could watch them temp drop.
This heat exchanger, Blin Driver2 put up, looks like a really good deal for alternate fuels, even for keeping normal fuel running.