Heating WMO or WVO

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I've read several post and looked at the pics of your guys setups so now heres my question:
Would an in bed fuel tank custom made to sit over the cross pipe for stacks be an effective heater?
Part 2:
If not, how good would a single coolant pipe through the tank be at transfering heat into WMO?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
been there done that it helps but its not the best. My buddy made his cross over pipe out of square box and his tank sits right on top of it and theres more heat transfer since its in contact the thing you got to remember is oil is a terrible heat conductor and the hot oil will go to the top of the tank

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I heard the heat from an exhaust would be too hot for vegetable oil, but what about non-synthetic waste motor oil?

Can non-synthetic motor oil withstand the temperatures expected to be transferred via the method described above?

I'm thinking hot oil rising to the top would induce good mixing. Anyone else with practical usage?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For veggie oil, you don't want to heat it until it's on the way to the engine. Excess heating and cooling cycles polymerize the fuel, so you don't want to heat the tank any more than you have to (to get it flowing down the fuel lines).

I'm assuming you're wanting to avoid buying a kit for cost reasons, right? I think it's a better solution that the custom tank deal -- just because instead of heating ALL the oil in the tank to X degrees, you can just focus that heat on the amount of fuel going to the engine. I think a single coolant loop in the tank (depending on tank size) would take a long time to heat up that much oil.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I think a single coolant loop in the tank (depending on tank size) would take a long time to heat up that much oil.

Yup...don't heat the whole tank, a coolant loop with a heat exchanger would be a simple fairly cheap solution. Heat the fuel on the way to the injectors.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running WMO and dont have much intrest in WVO. Just thinking about what I'm gonna have to do to the fuel system for winter. I thought just heating the tank would be enough to let it pump.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
been thinking about this to and trouble is with heating just the tank it can cool by the time it gets to your engine. so i have been thinking of putting a HIH (hose in hose) set up from the tank to engine like the veggie guys do.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using a hose on hose setup, I just bundled the coolant and fuel lines together on their way to the engine. Works great now (of course it's summer..) and I think if I just add some insulation, I'll be good for winter, too. Never tried HIH...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online