HEATER???

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok For the last year my Heater dosen't blow like it used to.

It dosent matter what setting i set the heater on it still blowes the same speed, LOW.

I've done a search and it seems like it could be leaves in the fan?
How do i get to the fan to clean it out?

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Look under the hood, I think it is 4 screws and the fan slides out, at least if you have AC.
It sounds like your resister pack is bad, it is next to the fan on the heater box. The pack sits in the corner where lots of leave collect, when the pack gets hot in normal operation, the leaves start to smoke.

zx2

Reaction score
When you take the fan off, reach into the A/C evaporator box and see how much junk has collected in it. i did mine last summer and found the whole thing packed with leaves. What a pain to clean.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to mess with this a couple of weekends ago...as my fan makes crazy gurgling noises in the higher settings. I saw the four screws ya'll are talking about but there seems to be quite a gasket holding the fan in there. I didn't go any further figuring that that gasket would have to be replaced? Did ya'll replace that gasket? From what I saw there is no way to get the fan out without destroying that gasket.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I remember the gascket was sticking to only one side, at least on mine. Mine also makes the gurgling noise, but it goes away after a few.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't worry about the "gasket" its open cell foam that breaks down over time. Anytime I open up one of these, I either put it back together with rubber "dumdum" sealer or cut to fit foam weatherstriping. get in there and evict the squirrel nest. :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the gurgling is usually the fan loose on the shaft or some bad motor bushings. just my experience

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Kris K said:

It dosent matter what setting i set the heater on it still blowes the same speed, LOW.

Maybe "she" is too dang OLD?
Maybe you need to give "her" more money:D .

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
More than likely, its the fan resistor pack(RP). If you look at the heater box, under the hood, there's a connector plugged into the RP. Pull the plug and then remove the two screws holding the RP to the heater box.

Don't worry about that flimsy gasket. If you pull the fan, just remove the screws and pull the fan out. The gasket is to thin to really seal anything. Just put some THIN weather strip on it when you replace it.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kris K said:

If your diverter door system works on vacuum (like mine), you may want to check the amount of vacuum it pulls. I had a leak in my vacuum system once and it didn't help get any flow anywhere.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
The 85 XL should be all mechanical, no vacuum.
Unless it was special ordered, there should be no AC.

It was a special order, Or atleast thats what the alst owner said when i got it from him. He said it has the heavyer duty axles under it., don't know what that means but o'well??????? It has or had AC intell I took it all off.

I got the fan out and cleaned all the leaves, and junk out, it blowes a little better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron