Heater core

IH444t

Reaction score
So I know the cheap heater cores are not good, but do you guys think 2 months being on the vehicle is short amount of time for it to go out again. I have a little leak inside the truck, but the passenger side by firewall is leaking good amount. The hoses are fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this depends on the material and workmanship of the core. Can you tell us where you purchased it and what the material it is. But yes.. 2 months and it leaking again is way too soon. No matter what quality core it was.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I'be had Spectra cores fail on me anywhere from 1 to 12 months. They lasted longer after adding a coolant filer inline ahead of the core, which I attribute to the restrictor orifice in the filter.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well its the only way coolant is gonna leak in the truck.
its a safe bet to say its done.

ive always bought quality heater cores for the simple fact that i dont want to install them again.

these cores are isolated, i usually install a ground to them to protect them from electrolysis

IH444t

Reaction score
Well this depends on the material and workmanship of the core. Can you tell us where you purchased it and what the material it is. But yes.. 2 months and it leaking again is way too soon. No matter what quality core it was.

Bought it from autozone around 20 dollars
I think it's aluminum.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"if ya want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed i will i got spare time"

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly autozone has a bad reputation for many parts and the heater core it top of that list. Suggest paying the money and get a Ford core. But I believe you already know this. Hopefully you saved the receipt because you may have a parts warranty for the zone.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far four years on my Spectra aluminum HC. Build quality looked ok, vs the brass copper unit I recall the fit in the hole was a little snug.
It's a AutoZone or Advance Auto, think it has a limited lifetime warranty.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do a search on here on how to check for electrolysis.... someone just posted a good way to check.

If you have a fair amount of electrolysis happening, it could "bore a hole" in the core quite quickly........

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has to do with running a multi meter in coolant and to gnd or pos IIRC...certain voltage like 0 .03 or something and its bad news for you.

How quickly one forgets.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately those Autozone heater cores aren't the best, but the warranty is lol. I got an A-zone in my truck. No problems so far & been in for about 4 years now. One of the good things about these trucks is how easy it is to install a new heater core. Basic tools & 15 minutes is all it takes which is why I'm not too worried about it.
One of the best things to do is install a couple of ball valves in line with the heater core hoses, so if it does fail, you can shut coolant supply to heater core and keep on trucking until you have time to replace it.