Heater core replacement - right core - correct hose routing?

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Doing a clutch replacement ....

Noticed a coolant leak ...

I didn't think it mattered how the heater hoses routed
from the engine to the block heater - guess it does.

I had recently replaced my heater core with a copper model
off ebay that was new old stock - might have routed the hoses wrong ...

Ran across this comment on another forum:

" what happen to your original core? how did it fail is my question. just did one last year. I screwed up and installed my hoses backwards. on the inlet to heater core should be a restricted port off of waterpump to inlet sided of heater core. this could expand your heater core and cause it to fail. It was a brainfart on my end won't happen again. "

I take it that the " inlet " side of the heater core should be fed from
the hose coming from the water pump?

Which fitting is the " inlet " fitting on the heater core?

Reagarding heater core selection:

I prefer the original copper to the aluminum.

So I ordered another copper heater core from O'Reilly's

@ http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_02709_1126561_2017&pt=02709&ppt=C0331

Noticed this in the description:

" • Without Air Conditioning-Heater Only "

I have ac - is this still o.k. to use instead of aluminum heater core?

Thanks,

Jim

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ordered another copper heater core from O'Reilly's

@ http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_02709_1126561_2017&pt=02709&ppt=C0331

Noticed this in the description:

" • Without Air Conditioning-Heater Only "

I have ac - is this still o.k. to use instead of aluminum heater core?
It might be different with newer trucks, but the '80-'86 heater cores on non a/c trucks are completely different from cores on a/c trucks. They're sized differently and the fittings on the ends are oriented differently.

Heater core for a 1984 a/c truck:
You must be registered for see images attach

Heater core for a 1984 non-a/c truck:
You must be registered for see images

With that said, the picture in the link you gave looks like an a/c heater core, so I can't say for certain whether you're going to run into a problem :dunno

pretty sure the water pump hose goes to the driver side, goes through the core and down to the block.
If you're referring to the water flow, while I could certainly be mistaken, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around...the coolant comes out of the block, through the heater core, then to one of the input ports on the water pump. I'm looking at a diagram of the coolant flow on the 6.9l from a 1984 Ford shop manual (page 22-08-9), and it's showing coolant flowing through the block and up into the cylinder heads. It doesn't show how the coolant flows through the heater core, though.

FWIW I found a diagram that incidentally shows the heater hose routing on page 36-61-36 of the 1984 Ford Body, Chassis, & Electrical manual, and it's showing the hose from the cylinder head going to the passenger's side fitting on the heater core, with the hose from the water pump going to the driver's side fitting. With that said, I was always under the impression that it didn't make a difference which side went where...

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The water is pushed from the head fitting thru the heater core and then to the wp fitting, the cooling system sees the same pressure throughout, sooooo, it doesnt matter how its hooked up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The flow is from the passenger side head then it dumps into the port on the water pump. The brass fitting in the head has an orfice in it to restrict the flow. They are no longer available either. I bought the last one ford had after doing a nationwide search. The fitting in my original 89 engine was showing some heavy wear on the rubber orfice so I replaced it. I really don't know why the fitting has the flow restricter in it either. The header core needs to see the hot water from the heads and not from the water pump. There is an inlet and outlet for the core too but I don't have that ready for you...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, a few points you should consider:

1) there are indeed two types of heater cores - the smaller "factory-A/C" one and the larger "hi-output" one. If your truck left the factory with an A/C system installed, whether it is currently operational or not, you should use the "factory-A/C" type heater core. The "hi-output" core was installed only in trucks that had no A/C from the factory, it uses a different plenum box from a factory-A/C truck and sits kinda where the evaporator core is in a factory-A/C truck, so you physically cannot fit the non-A/C core in your truck.

2) the core itself in these trucks does not care how you install the hoses on it, as both inlet and outlet pipes are the same size (5/8") and there shouldn't be any flow restrictors built in either of them. If by any chance there is a flow restrictor in your new core (never see one with it, but anything is possible), the pipe it is in should be clearly marked as "inlet" and the restrictor itself should be visible. Again, never seen such a thing right out the box.

3) the need for restrictors is actually caused by the flow capability (or lack thereof) of the heater core, in many vehicles the water pump when spun at high rpms will push out more coolant than the core can handle, leading to "ballooning" and eventually rupturing the core. In that sense it is not the "static" coolant system pressure (16lbs for gassers usually, 13lbs or less for IDIs) that causes it, it's the "dynamic" pressure from the heater core dead-heading the incoming coolant flow. I have personally done this with a bull-nose Chevy truck, as a result of a heavy-duty pump and my practice of shifting at 6000 rpms - it killed the an aftermarket heater core first, and then a dealership-bought one. I know of several Fox-body owners who had the same experience, only it didn't take them 22 minutes from start to finish to replace their cores like I did. Ford actually recognized this as a problem at some point, and certain vehicles in the late-'80s and early-'90s did get a flow restrictor from the factory - I don't recall which models exactly those were (heavy CRS condition going on here), but I do remember the restrictor is a sort of a bushing that slides in the "inlet" heater hose right before said hose slips onto the heater core pipe. This is actually not the best solution, as now the dead-head is moved from the core to the hose itself, but I suppose it's cheap enough and replacing a heater hose is usually a whole lot easier than replacing the entire heater core. To be honest tho it is also what I did to my Chevy truck as well, only I used a flanged nut of suitable size (1/2" IIRC, threads drilled out and edges chamfered for smoother thru-flow) instead of a Ford-style bushing and slid it into the heater core's inlet pipe till the flanged end of the nut was firmly against the edge of the pipe, this way the dead-head pressure from the coolant could not force the nut inside the heater core, and the nut being steel would not deform under it either. Never blew a core again, and never noticed reduced heat output either, Mustang buddies copied it onto their cars as well with no ill effects that I'm aware of.

4) flow restrictors in IDIs - yes they do exist, only not in the bushing-in-the-hose form like some gassers got - instead Ford (or IHC, probably IHC) got smart and instead of using your typical wide-open 5/8" thru-hole barb fitting on the passenger side engine head where the heater core coolant supply comes from, they installed a barb fitting that has the outer diameter of size appropriate for 5/8" hose, but its inner diameter (where coolant flows through) is less than that, if memory serves me correct the thru-holes is actually about 1/2" in diameter. Why this is the smart and IMHO proper way of restricting heater core flow - the dead-head pressure is now created in the engine head coolant passage, and the engine head really couldn't care any less about it, resulting in low-pressure heater core AND supply hose, even if you're revving up against the governor. So, because this flow restriction is built into your engine, and not in the heater core itself, theoretically it shouldn't matter which way you hook up your supply and return hoses on the heater core - each of the pipes can be either inlet or outlet, core shouldn't care one bit. IIRC the typical installation involves designating the pipe closer to the engine as an inlet and the one closer to the fender as an outlet because it makes for neater factory hose routing, but if you have a coolant bypass filter hanging off your fuel filter tower you may find out that having the outboard pipe as inlet and the inboard one as outlet may work out better for your hose routing.

Hope this helps, bottom line is buy a core for a "factory-A/C-equipped" truck and I'd recommend that while you're at it you replace your heater hoses as well, this way you know you're good to go for years to come.

*a quick foot-note - considering the factory fitting that goes in the head is as per Gary's info no longer available, my solution would be using a radiator lower-tank fitting from an automatic-transmission-equipped truck - this thing is very similar to what lives on the engine head, probably the same NPT as well (3/8" IIRC), but its thru-hole is very small, like 3/16" small - measure your in-head fitting's orifice diameter, drill the rad-mount fitting to that size, and install it in the head, and because the rad-mount fitting does not have a rubber sleeve pressed into it like the factory in-head fitting it theoretically will not deteriorate with time either. I dunno why the factory chose the rubber-sleeve route for the in-head fitting, but I do not see any disadvantage to using the drilled out solid-brass fitting. Gary, are you aware if these are still available from Ford? If they are not they could be sourced from salvage yards, and being what they are they should not have suffered any significant deterioration that would render them unusable for the purpose described above...

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres the napa number for the restrictor fitting in the head,

BK 6601700

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I looked at how my rig is set up. The head goes to the closest port to the head or the right side of the firewall. The fitting farthest to the passenger fender is the return to the water pump.

Gonzo5927

Reaction score
Jim, a few points you should consider:

1) there are indeed two types of heater cores - the smaller "factory-A/C" one and the larger "hi-output" one. If your truck left the factory with an A/C system installed, whether it is currently operational or not, you should use the "factory-A/C" type heater core. The "hi-output" core was installed only in trucks that had no A/C from the factory, it uses a different plenum box from a factory-A/C truck and sits kinda where the evaporator core is in a factory-A/C truck, so you physically cannot fit the non-A/C core in your truck.

2) the core itself in these trucks does not care how you install the hoses on it, as both inlet and outlet pipes are the same size (5/8") and there shouldn't be any flow restrictors built in either of them. If by any chance there is a flow restrictor in your new core (never see one with it, but anything is possible), the pipe it is in should be clearly marked as "inlet" and the restrictor itself should be visible. Again, never seen such a thing right out the box.

3) the need for restrictors is actually caused by the flow capability (or lack thereof) of the heater core, in many vehicles the water pump when spun at high rpms will push out more coolant than the core can handle, leading to "ballooning" and eventually rupturing the core. In that sense it is not the "static" coolant system pressure (16lbs for gassers usually, 13lbs or less for IDIs) that causes it, it's the "dynamic" pressure from the heater core dead-heading the incoming coolant flow. I have personally done this with a bull-nose Chevy truck, as a result of a heavy-duty pump and my practice of shifting at 6000 rpms - it killed the an aftermarket heater core first, and then a dealership-bought one. I know of several Fox-body owners who had the same experience, only it didn't take them 22 minutes from start to finish to replace their cores like I did. Ford actually recognized this as a problem at some point, and certain vehicles in the late-'80s and early-'90s did get a flow restrictor from the factory - I don't recall which models exactly those were (heavy CRS condition going on here), but I do remember the restrictor is a sort of a bushing that slides in the "inlet" heater hose right before said hose slips onto the heater core pipe. This is actually not the best solution, as now the dead-head is moved from the core to the hose itself, but I suppose it's cheap enough and replacing a heater hose is usually a whole lot easier than replacing the entire heater core. To be honest tho it is also what I did to my Chevy truck as well, only I used a flanged nut of suitable size (1/2" IIRC, threads drilled out and edges chamfered for smoother thru-flow) instead of a Ford-style bushing and slid it into the heater core's inlet pipe till the flanged end of the nut was firmly against the edge of the pipe, this way the dead-head pressure from the coolant could not force the nut inside the heater core, and the nut being steel would not deform under it either. Never blew a core again, and never noticed reduced heat output either, Mustang buddies copied it onto their cars as well with no ill effects that I'm aware of.

4) flow restrictors in IDIs - yes they do exist, only not in the bushing-in-the-hose form like some gassers got - instead Ford (or IHC, probably IHC) got smart and instead of using your typical wide-open 5/8" thru-hole barb fitting on the passenger side engine head where the heater core coolant supply comes from, they installed a barb fitting that has the outer diameter of size appropriate for 5/8" hose, but its inner diameter (where coolant flows through) is less than that, if memory serves me correct the thru-holes is actually about 1/2" in diameter. Why this is the smart and IMHO proper way of restricting heater core flow - the dead-head pressure is now created in the engine head coolant passage, and the engine head really couldn't care any less about it, resulting in low-pressure heater core AND supply hose, even if you're revving up against the governor. So, because this flow restriction is built into your engine, and not in the heater core itself, theoretically it shouldn't matter which way you hook up your supply and return hoses on the heater core - each of the pipes can be either inlet or outlet, core shouldn't care one bit. IIRC the typical installation involves designating the pipe closer to the engine as an inlet and the one closer to the fender as an outlet because it makes for neater factory hose routing, but if you have a coolant bypass filter hanging off your fuel filter tower you may find out that having the outboard pipe as inlet and the inboard one as outlet may work out better for your hose routing.

Hope this helps, bottom line is buy a core for a "factory-A/C-equipped" truck and I'd recommend that while you're at it you replace your heater hoses as well, this way you know you're good to go for years to come.

*a quick foot-note - considering the factory fitting that goes in the head is as per Gary's info no longer available, my solution would be using a radiator lower-tank fitting from an automatic-transmission-equipped truck - this thing is very similar to what lives on the engine head, probably the same NPT as well (3/8" IIRC), but its thru-hole is very small, like 3/16" small - measure your in-head fitting's orifice diameter, drill the rad-mount fitting to that size, and install it in the head, and because the rad-mount fitting does not have a rubber sleeve pressed into it like the factory in-head fitting it theoretically will not deteriorate with time either. I dunno why the factory chose the rubber-sleeve route for the in-head fitting, but I do not see any disadvantage to using the drilled out solid-brass fitting. Gary, are you aware if these are still available from Ford? If they are not they could be sourced from salvage yards, and being what they are they should not have suffered any significant deterioration that would render them unusable for the purpose described above...
Reviving an old dead thread here. I’m trying to replace my heater hoses and I’m finding parts that have 5/8” orifice on one side and (I believe) 3/4 on the other. I can’t really start this and not have all the right parts. Am I good with a bunch of 5/8” hose cut to size or am I going to need some specialty hoses?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old dead thread here. I’m trying to replace my heater hoses and I’m finding parts that have 5/8” orifice on one side and (I believe) 3/4 on the other. I can’t really start this and not have all the right parts. Am I good with a bunch of 5/8” hose cut to size or am I going to need some specialty hoses?
Your saying this hose is bigger inside diameter on one side than the other?